CyanogenMod team has launched the official CM 11 Nightly ROM for the Galaxy Note 3 LTE. Use this post and you’ll learn how to successfully update your device.
CM 11 Nightly brings all kinds of new features and functions for your smartphone. More info about this release can be found at the CyanogenMod blog web page here. This is one of the most popular custom ROMs that has been launched for your Galaxy Note 3 LTE International, you should be able to complete the installation in under ten minutes without bricking the phone.
CyanogenMod 11 Nightly ROM is based on Android 4.4.2 AOSP builds and it incorporates its own features too, so you will get one of the best KitKat experiences. This build hasn’t reached the Stable stage, but you can still use flash the ROM. However, you’re advised to install it only after creating a full NANDROID ROM backup for the installed OS – you’ll find more in the tutorial part of this guide.
Before starting the installation of CM 11 Nightly on your Galaxy Note 3 LTE you will first have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the International Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE model number N9005.
- do not attempt to update any other devices using the files that you’ll find in this post.
- This guide works only with rooted Galaxy Note 3 LTE.
- Make sure that your installed Custom Recovery is updated to its latest build.
- both CWM and TWRP will work with this post.
- we’ve tested this installation with CWM, but TWRP should work just fine if you carefully apply the corresponding actions.
- It is highly recommended for you to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup for the installed OS.
- this will set a restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- this step is listed in the tutorial, so you shouldn’t skip it.
- Factory Reset has to be applied too.
- this step is listed in the guide.
- Factory Reset wipes all data from your Note 3 LTE system partition, while the internal / external storage will not be affected by the installation process.
- Backup data from installed apps, SMS and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: Helium.
- non rooted phones will also work with this application, but for this guide it won’t be necessary as your phone is already rooted.
- Sync your Contacts data and People details with your Gmail account.
- guide here for those of you who don’t know how to sync such data.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- This is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your device. This is not an official release by Samsung, so you will only install a custom ROM designed by one of the best Android ROM developing teams.
Installing CM 11 Nightly on your device will remove all bloatware and allow you to experience the pure KitKat interface at its full power. If you don’t know the UI, then you can always choose to download and install custom launchers or even the Themer app from Google Play Store.
How to flash CM 11 Nightly Android 4.4 for your Galaxy Note 3 LTE N9005:
- Download the latest CM 11 Nightly build for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE N9005 from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then move both zip files to its internal storage.
- do not unzip the contents of these files.
- when the transfer is complete you can disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off your phone now.
- Boot the device in custom Recovery Mode:
- learn here how to boot Recovery for Samsung devices.
- Create a NANDROID ROM Backup:
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm.
- Apply the Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm the process.
- Install the CM 11 Nightly ROM for your Note 3 LTE:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the ROM file.
- confirm the installation.
- When the ROM is installed you can repeat step 8 action and flash the Gapps zip too.
- After both files are installed you need to return to the Custom Recovery menu.
- Reboot your smartphone now in normal mode.
> note that the first boot process takes a while before it loads all the new files, which is why you shouldn’t interact with the device until the boot is complete.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen of your device appears.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your phone with a brand new custom CM 11 Nightly ROM. I hope that you did manage to complete the installation of this new ROM and that now you’re testing all of its great features and functions.
In case the first boot process of CM 11 Nightly takes more than ten minutes to load and it doesn’t go past the boot animation or the device enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire guide more than once. Custom ROMs might not always install correctly at your first attempt, which is why you should retry until the process is successfully.
If you decide to retry the installation of CM 11 Nightly, then you should make sure to apply the ‘factory reset’ step. Also, you can try to use the ‘format /system’ option as that will surely get rid of all the remnants left behind by the previously installed ROM.
In case you don’t like the new ROM, then you can always choose to revert your phone to its previous ROM since you’ve created such backup in step 6. Use the same custom Recovery mode and make sure to restore the correct file. After the restore process is complete you simply need to boot in normal mode and wait for the phone to do the rest of the work.
For any other questions you need to use the comments field below.