The official Snapshot M4 build of CyanogenMod 11 is now available for Galaxy S3 I9300 International.
Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully update your device using the new custom KitKat ROM.
CM 11 Snapshot M4 is a milestone build that’s more stable than the Nightly builds. If you want to learn more about this release you can read the CyanogenMod blog page here. If you want to install this new Android 4.4.2 KitKat AOSP ROM that has been improved by the CyanogenMod team, then you will first need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- this ROM can be flashed only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300 — the International variant, not the LTE I9305 one.
– don’t attempt to flash the files you find in this post on any other Android devices.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM or TWRP Recovery image.
– if the custom Recovery isn’t updated to its latest version, then you cannot flash any new KitKat builds.
- the tutorial contains two additional steps besides the installation ones: NANDROID ROM Backup and Factory Reset, both should be applied.
– NANDROID ROM Backup creates a full restore point of the installed ROM, and it can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– FACTORY RESET is needed so that you will install the new KitKat 4.4.2 custom ROM on a clean device.
– Factory Reset will delete only data from system partition, while leaving the internal and external sdcards unaffected.
- backup data from installed apps, SMS text messages or other similar files using Helium for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- this guide is for advanced users, do not skip any steps and use the comments field in case you need any extra help.
- do not blame us in case you lose any important data files nor in case you brick the phone’s firmware.
These were all the guidelines that you had to read before continuing to the next part of this post.
Flash Official CM 11 M4 Snapshot KitKat ROM for Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the M4-release CM 11 file from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 ROMs from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC, then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
– do not unzip the files.
– disconnect the phone from computer when all files are successfully copied.
- Power off your Galaxy S3, then boot it in CWM / TWRP Recovery mode.
– if you can’t boot recovery, read this info.
- Create a NANDROID Backup of the installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file, confirm process.
– TWRP: press Backup, set a name for the file, then swipe to confirm.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset for your device:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe and confirm that you wish to factory reset your phone.
> don’t skip this step.
- Now you can flash the CM 11 M4 Snapshot based on Android 4.4.2 AOSP for your Galaxy S3:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file and confirm installation.
– TWRP: press Install, find the ROM file, swipe to confirm process.
> don’t press any buttons until the install is complete.
- When the ROM is installed you need to flash Gapps zip, too. Use the same actions as in step 7.
- When all files are installed you can get back to the main Custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process will take a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the new home screen appears.
- Use the CyanogenMod account or your Google profile to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the update of your Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat via CM 11 custom ROM.
If the installation fails at your first attempt, then you can try again. Make sure to apply all steps without skipping any of them. If you need any extra help, then you should use the field below.