The official CM 12.1 Stable builds are now live for the old Motorola RAZR HD GSM devices. Check all the info below if you want to learn how to successfully install this new custom ROM on your device.
CyanogenMod team has packed all the AOSP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop features in the CM 12.1 Stable build. If you don’t want to install the Nightly CM 12.1 builds on your device because they are packing bugs, then you can install a stable build instead. Learn more about this release here and here.
Check the following guidelines in order to learn how to successfully setup the Motorola device for the updating process:
- use this post only with the Motorola RAZR HD GSM model number XT925.
– check the version of your device under Settings> About Phone.
– don’t use this guide for any other different Android devices.
- your phone has to be rooted and it should be running the latest version of either CWM or TWRP custom Recovery.
– if the custom Recovery is not updated to its latest version, then it won’t support the Android 5.1.1-based custom ROM installation.
- in the how-to part of this post you will find two extra preparation steps: the Factory Reset and the NANDROID Backup ones.
– make sure that you won’t be skipping any steps.
– the NANDROID Backup is used to create a complete restore point for the ROM that’s currently installed on your device.
– the ‘factory reset’ wipes clean the system partition and it removes the old ROM allowing you to flash a brand new CM 12.1 Stable ROM for your phone.
– the ‘factory reset’ process doesn’t remove any files from the internal storage.
- in case you need to save any important data from installed apps, then you should try the Helium app for Android.
– Contacts info can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- this guide is for advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick your device nor in case you lose any important files during installation.
- check the battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the phone from powering down during installation.
- read the whole post, do not skip any steps if you want to complete the CM 12.1 install at the first attempt.
Now that you know all that you can get to the next part of this post.
Remember that you can continue to update the installed Custom ROM with a brand new CM 12.1 Stable build, then you should do it using the CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings> About phone.
How to flash CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Stable ROM for Motorola RAZR HD GSM:
- Download the CM 12.1 Stable ROM from here.
- Download Gaps for Android 5.1.1 ROMs from here.
- You have to copy these two files to your phone’s internal storage.
– after you’re done moving the files you can disconnect the phone from PC.
– do not unzip the files.
- Power off your device.
- Now boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- First thing that you should do is to create a NANDROID ROM Backup:
– for CWM select the ‘backup and restore’.
– for TWRP use the ‘backup’ option.
- Factory Reset your device now:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP select the ‘wipe’ options menu.
- Now you can initiate the CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 ROM installation:
– for CWM select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– for TWRP use the ‘install’ menu.
- Find the CM 12.1 ROM zip file and confirm the installation.
- After the flashing process is done you can install the Gapps zip too.
- Reboot your smartphone in normal mode after all the new files are installed.
Note that the first boot process of this new ROM is going to take a while before it loads all the new files.
If you need any extra help completing this guide, then you should tell us in comments.
If the CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 ROM fails to install at your first attempt, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole guide more than once. Don’t skip any steps and make sure that your phone meets all requirements before repeating installation.