Install CM10.1 RC4 JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM on Galaxy S3 (T999, I747, I535 and L710)
The latest version of CM10.1 has been released so the RC4 built is here. The ROM is based on latest Android OS, the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware, and since this is the latest launch of CM10.1, the software is stable, without bugs and things that aren’t working and installed with new features, apps and capabilities. Well, today I will show you how to install the CM10.1 RC4 JB 4.2.2 custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy S3 (the guide is suitable with the T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint models of the Galaxy S3) all the info related to the update procedure being detailed below.
CyanogenMod is one of the most popular Android based Custom ROM, the firmware being used by many users as the platform is suitable with almost all the smartphones available on the market. Also, the CM ROM comes with many features, apps, tools and customization and optimization options, nowadays most of the unofficial updates developed by third party devs being based on the CM10.1 platform. So, in order to conclude, CyanogenMod is the best custom software available for your Android based device, but remember that this is still a custom ROM and not an official update, so you will not get the default Jelly Bean experience or looks.
Therefore, if you want to update your Galaxy S3 (T999, I747, I535 or L710 – that’s the T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint version of the SGS3) with the CM10.1 RC4 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware, then follow and complete this tutorial. By using the steps from below you will be able to learn how to prepare your S3 for the flashing operation and then you will learn how to easily and manually apply the CM10.1 RC4 built on your smartphone. Don’t skip any section from below, because this operation is considered risky; you don’t want to end up in bricking your phone.
Do remember that this tutorial is suitable only with the Samsung Galaxy S3, models number T999 – T-Mobile, I747 – AT&T, I535 – Verizon and L710 – Sprint as you will have proper download links for each version of the S3 smartphone.
Even though we are talking about CM10.1 the preparation tasks are the same as for all the custom ROMs available out there. So, before going any further you will have to root your SGS3 and install a custom recovery image into its system.
Gain root access first, because a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, can be flashed only on unchained devices. By rooting the system, the warranty of your S3 will get lost, so if something bad happens you will be by yourselves; this is the only negative aspect that comes along with the root operation, so be careful in what you do and use suitable tutorials that can be applied on your version of Galaxy S3. Do note that the warranty can be restored if you downgrade / update to stock / official Android OS.
Then, ensure that a custom recovery image is installed on your phone; as you know each device comes with a stock recovery tool, but when installing custom or unofficial updates, the same can’t be used. So, that’s why you need to apply CWM recovery on your Galaxy S3 or else you won’t be able to update with CM10.1 RC4 JB 4.2.2 firmware.
Don’t forget to backup the Galaxy S3 data because a wipe will be required and your text messages, call logs, internet settings, EFS, contacts, market apps and so on will be wiped out. Use backup and restore tools from Google Play, or use our suitable step by step guides and save everything you need. Beside the mentioned aspects, I also recommend you to make a Nandroid backup for saving / restoring the current ROM when needed.
After taking care of the above explained pre requisites you should also ensure that you can access and use a computer from which you first have to uninstall the security tools like antivirus and Firewall protection. Then, from your smartphone you have to enable the USB debugging option and you also have to consider in charging the battery of your S3 – if there is less than 60% power left. Finally, don’t apply the next steps if you have a different or similar device with the Samsung Galaxy S3, models number T999 – T-Mobile, I747 – AT&T, I535 – Verizon and L710 – Sprint as the CM10.1 RC4 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM will work only on the mentioned smartphones.
How to Install CM10.1 RC4 JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM on Galaxy S3 (T999, I747, I535 and L710)
- You need to download the CM10.1 firmware suitable with your device.
- So, on your computer download the firmware file by using the following links: for the T999 model use the link from here, for I747 go here, for I535 use this page and for L710 use the link from here.
- Then, download the Google Apps package as the same is not included into the update file.
- Up next, you need to connect your device with the computer; use the USB cord for establishing the connection (enable the USB debugging option on your phone first).
- Now, place both downloaded files from the computer to your phone.
- And unplug the USB cable.
- After that turn off your S3 as the phone must be entered into recovery mode.
- So, reboot by pressing on the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time.
- Then, the first thing to do is a wipe; select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Next, return to the recovery menu and from there select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file first and flash the ROM on your S3.
- Then return to recovery, repeat the step and flash the Google Apps package too.
- And in the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now” for ending this tutorial.
So, that was all; your Samsung Galaxy S3 has been updated with the CM10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 RC4 built Custom ROM firmware. That was all for today; stay close for further tutorials and Android related tips and tricks. Also, if you had problems while trying to apply the above procedure, share the issues with us and we will assist you as soon as possible.