The Nightly build of CM10.2 custom ROM has been made available for the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 so now you can easily apply the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based firmware on your smartphone. During the present tutorial I will show you which is the easiest way that can be used for updating the Galaxy S4 to custom Android 4.3 JB OS, with CM10.2 software; the guide is not hard to complete or to understand as there are only a few things to consider. But for making a proper idea about the same, read the lines from below.
The nightly release of the CM10.2 system is the first version of the same update that has been official rolled out. Therefore, if there are minor bugs, don’t worry as the same will be soon removed. According to those who have tested the platform, everything is working as expected and the OS is smoothly running on the SGS4.
As you might know, the CM10.2 update is coming with great features, apps and capabilities that will customize and optimize the looks and performances of your Galaxy S4. By flashing the custom JB 4.3 Android OS on your device you will be able to bump the speeds, upgrade the battery life, change the looks and improve the performances. This is all possible because we are talking about a custom ROM which enables access to the internal system of your handset.
But for enjoying all the advantages that comes with a custom firmware, first you have to install the software on your phone; and for being able to do so you need to prepare your S4 and some other “stuffs” for the flashing operation that will shortly follow.
The first thing to do when dealing with a custom update is to root your smartphone. Because the CM10.2 firmware is not an official Android OS, for being able to install the same, root access must be granted. The root operation is also unofficial which means that the Galaxy S4 warranty will get void. So use a suitable root guide and try not to brick your handset while trying to unchain its system. As for the warranty, you can restore it by unrooting the system-> downgrade to stock Android software or update your S4 I9505 LTE with an official version of the Android system (manually because on rooted handsets the OTA version can’t be received or applied).
Then, on a rooted Galaxy S4 install a custom recovery image. I recommend you to use CWM or TWRP recovery as these are the most used custom recovery tools for Android. The CM10.2 update will be installed through this custom recovery app so don’t skip this section because it is the most relevant one.
Backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory. Unfortunately a wipe will be required which means that the phone’s system will be cleared up, so all of your info, accounts, personal saves and data will be erased. A good idea will be to make a Nandroid backup too and also to save the EFS folder on your way. In this way you will be able to avoid the unpleasant situations that might occur.
Just before heading to the steps from below make sure to: deactivate the security programs and protection that is featured on your computer – you need to have access to a computer or notebook, to your handset and to its USB cable – and on your Galaxy S4; the battery of your phone should be charged if now the power is under 60%, so plug in the charger; go to path “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option; apply this step by step guide only if you own the LTE variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4, which comes dubbed as I9505.
How to Install CM10.2 Android 4.3 JB custom ROM firmware on Galaxy S4 I9505
- Use the link from here and download the CM10.2 package for the SGS4 I9505 on your computer.
- Save the update on desktop and don’t unzip the package.
- Then, place the downloaded file on your phone’s SD card.
- In order to transfer the firmware, first connect your device with the computer via USB cable.
- Then, just drag and drop the update from desktop to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the devices by unplugging the USB cord.
- Turn off your S4.
- Reboot in recovery mode -> press and hold volume up, home and power buttons at the same time until your device enters in recovery.
- Wipe the system: select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return: select “+++go back+++”.
- And select the update file by choosing: “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the CM10.2 file and flash the same on your phone.
- Finally, return to main menu of recovery and select “reboot system now”.
- Note: in case your SGS4 gets stuck in a boot loop, try to reach recovery once more and from there this time select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Then reboot the handset into Android as everything should be working as expected.
- Note 2: if the first boot takes longer than usual, don’t panic as there is nothing wrong with your smartphone.
If you have any other problems use the comments area from below for sharing the same; we will try to resolve the issues and assist you with suitable advices as soon as possible.
Perfect, you are done. Now your Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505 is running on the latest version of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean as the CM10.2 custom ROM firmware has been successfully installed on your phone. Test the new software and see how it performs. Then, return here and share your impressions, the results and your thoughts with our team or with other users who might want to use this step by step guide too.