Customizing and optimizing your HP Slate 8 Pro is a must, especially if you want to obtain more form your Android based tablet. While keeping that in mind you should know that there are some basic operations that must be applied on the Android system in order to unlock the same. Why? Well, because on an unlocked device you can start the customization processes. In that matter, during the guidelines from below I will show you how to complete two important operations that unlocks the Android OS that runs on your HP Slate 8 Pro and that ensures full control over the internal system of your tablet. Of course I am talking about root access and about flashing a custom recovery image – in our case CWM Recovery.
When talking about gaining root access you should have in mind one thing: freedom. Thus, if you choose to root your HP Slate 8 Pro you will be able to remove in built and factory restrictions from your tablet. Moreover the Android OS will be unchained and you will be able to access the same for performing various custom operations. But, most important, on a rooted device you can install custom apps that can power up the performances of your tablet. In that matter, gaining root access is a must, whether we are talking about entry level users or about advanced developers. Of course, unlocking the internal system isn’t enough, especially if you want to completely tweak your HP Slate 8 Pro.
So here is when a custom recovery image becomes important. As you might know, when you first buy a new Android smartphone or tablet, the handset is being delivered with a stock recovery pre installed. This stock hidden menu offers limited access to your device. So, if you want more control and easier access to the Android OS replacing the stock recovery with a custom one is not really an option for you. As I have already pointed out, by using this step by step guide you will learn how to install CWM recovery on your HP Slate 8 Pro. Well, CWM recovery is the best custom recovery to use as the app brings relevant features along with an intuitive user interface that can be anytime used even by a newbie who is on his first root experience.
Anyway, before rooting and installing CWM recovery on your HP Slate 8 Pro, you should know that these operations aren’t official. Moreover, by completing this tutorial you will make changes within your tablet’s internal system, thus the warranty of your device will be void. So, for the future, if something happens with your handset and you need to take it back to service, you will have to pay for the technical inspection – or you will have to try to fix your bricked Android device manually by using relevant and compatible tutorials (check the provided link in that matter).
Also consider this step by step guide risky and complex – don’t perform things without consulting the guidelines from below because by messing things up you can end up in soft bricking your tablet.
Since this is a manual procedure, first of all you will have to prepare your tablet and other essential things by taking a look over the pre requisites list from below – don’t skip this list as it is the most relevant part of our step by step guide.
- Backup your data – your data might get corrupted or even wiped out during the root operation, so the best will be to save everything you might need afterwards, before doing anything else.
- Basically I recommend you to save your personal info, data and accounts along with market apps, contacts, internet settings, images, videos or even audio files.
- In order to perform a proper backup operation you can use compatible apps from Google Play, or a cloud service.
- A computer and your tablet’s USB cable must be used – on the computer you will have to download the required files and then a connection between your devices will have to be established.
- On your computer temporarily deactivate the security protection – tools like antivirus or antimalware might interfere with our work.
- Charge the battery of your tablet if the power left is less than 60% – plug in the charger as if your device gets turned off in the middle of the root process, it might also get bricked.
- On your computer install Android SDK: install Android SDK on Windows or set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- Enable USB debugging on your tablet – in order to do so, navigate towards “menu – settings – developer options”.
- Apply the steps from below for gaining root access and install CWM recovery only if you own the HP Slate 8 Pro – the tutorial is compatible only with the mentioned device; else you can end up in damaging your tablet.
How to Install CWM Recovery and Root HP Slate 8 Pro
- Download the CWM recovery file from this page (the app is provided by those of xda-developers so we should thanks them for this step by step guide).
- Connect your HP Slate 8 Pro with your computer by plugging in the USB cord.
- On your computer open a command prompt window. To do that, simply hold down Shift and right-click on any blank area on your screen and select Open command window here.
- In the cmd window enter the following command: adb reboot -bootloader.
- The bootloader mode will be then displayed on your device.
- Use the Power key and select Fastboot – then enter the same.
- Go back to your cmd window; type: fastboot -i 0x03F0 boot recovery.img.
- After a few minutes your handset will enter into recovery mode.
- From there select “reboot system now”.
- You will then be prompted to root your tablet.
- Follow the on screen prompts and ensure root access on your HP Slate 8 Pro.
- In the end, go to Google Play and download SuperSU app.
- That’s it.
Perfect; you have successfully rooted and installed CWM recovery on your HP Slate 8 Pro. As already stated, after completing this guide you are able to perform other custom operations on your tablet. Thus, you can now consider in updating with a custom ROM, installing a custom kernel, overclocking your Android device, removing bloatware, improve the speeds and performances, making a Nandroid backup and so on.