The Sony Xperia ZL has been launched for some time and now you can learn how to install the CWM Recovery. Read the entire tutorial that I have listed below and you will manage to flash all the required files successfully. Start the installation only if you’re an advanced Android user.
This custom recovery image has been posted to XDA forums and it is confirmed to work with the Sony Xperia ZL. You shouldn’t attempt to use this tutorial with any other Android device. You can find a link to the XDA thread at the end of this post and there you can find more info about this tool and its developer.
The CWM Recovery is a custom tool that allows you to flash brand new custom ROMs or even root your device with it. It will replace the stock Xperia ZL Recovery and that will allow you to add any new customization file to your smartphone. In order to make sure that you complete the install with success, you will first have to read the preparation guide below:
- Use the tutorial only for the Sony Xperi ZL device. Don’t try to use this guide for any other Android device.
- The phone has to be factory unlocked, as this guide will not work otherwise.
- Your device has to be running the 10.1.A.1.350/434 firmware version.
- Your smartphone needs to feature a fully working fastboot.
- Make sure that your computer features the Sony Xperia ZL USB drivers.
- The USB Debugging option should be enabled. You can find this in the Developer / Development Options menu.
- Disable all the antivirus / security tools from running on your PC. This will prevent any tools from interfering with the CWM Recovery install.
- Backup all the files that are currently stored on your device.
- Make sure that your Xperia ZL battery has enough power left before it will discharge completely.
- Doomlord, an XDA member and developer, is the one who released this custom recovery image.
- Don’t use this CWM Recovery with the CyanogenMod 10.1 builds.
- Don’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you lose data or you brick the phone in the process.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you should ask for extra help in our comments field. Make sure to leave detailed info about the steps you took and where you got stuck, so that we will be able to come up with the best solutions.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that we can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install CWM Recovery for the Sony XPERIA ZL (Stock Kernel):
- Download CWM Recovery 22.214.171.124 for your device from HERE or HERE. Save it on your PC.
- Extract the contents of this zip and place them into a single folder that’s saved on your Desktop screen.
- Copy the boot.img file to the Fastboot folder.
- Power off the device.
- Boot it into Fastboot Mode like this: Press Volume Up and Power at the same time.
- Connect your Xperia ZL with your PC via USB cable and wait until the LED lights show a blue colo.
- Launch the command prompt window to the ‘fastboot’ folder. You can do it by pressing and holding SHIFT button on your PC keyboard, and then right-click the folder where you want to launch the CMD window.
- Now, in order to install the CWM Recovery image you will need to enter the following command line: fastboot flash boot boot.img
- When the install process has been completed with success, you will have to reboot the phone and unplug it from your computer.
- CWM Recovery should now be installed on your device. Use it to flash custom ROMs and any other customization files.
If this guide doesn’t work at your first attempt, then you should keep trying until it manages to flash the custom recovery files.
NOTE: the creator of this CWM Recovery for Xperia ZL states that the USB Storage will not work with it. You can find more info in his XDA thread here.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to flash a custom recovery image on your Sony Xperia ZL device. In case you cannot complete the install, then you should leave a detailed comment below and we will try to come up with a solution so that you will manage to get CWM Recovery files on your device.
Now that you’ve manage to install this file, you can also learn how to root your Xperia ZL using this other guide here.