How to Install CWM Recovery on Galaxy S2 Plus GT-I9105
If you need to tweak, troubleshoot or perform optimization and customization operations on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus, then you have to consider in installing a custom recovery image, in our case the CWM recovery tool, on your device. By using the CWM recovery image you will then be able to root your smartphone, a suitable step by step guide being also available here, on Android.gs. But until rooting the system you first have to complete the present tutorial and learn how to flash CWM recovery on your Galaxy S2 Plus I9105.
CWM recovery is a custom recovery image designed for the Android platform, the tool being extremely popular among worldwide Android users as it is compatible with almost all the smartphones and tablets available on the market. Actually, when you buy a new device it is featuring a stock recovery that can be anytime used for performing usual and casual operations. But in order to spice things up and for taking your handset to a new level you need to replace the stock recovery with a custom one. Well, by performing this guide you will be able to do so.
By using CWM recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus, you will be able to gain root access, perform maintenance, customization and optimization procedures, install .zip files and a lot more. Also, wiping the system and making Nandroid backups will be possible so as you can see flashing CWM recovery on your S2 Plus isn’t an option for you, especially if you are looking forward in powering up the performances of your handset. I am saying that because updating your Galaxy S2 Plus with a custom ROM firmware is being possible only if you have previously applied a custom recovery image (CWM recovery in our case).
For completing the present step by step guide we will use Odin, so you don’t have to root your device first; as you might know usually, when trying to install CWM recovery root access must be granted. Actually, now we will first flash the recovery image on your Galaxy S2 Plus and only after that we will root your phone.
Anyway, what you do have to perform before starting the installation procedure is a backup. There are few chances to lose your data while using Odin, but if something bad happens, in the end in order to fix things out, you will have to wipe the system of your S2 Plus. Therefore, in order to avoid the unpleasant situations that might occur, I recommend you to save your contacts, market apps, the EFS folder, and everything else you need to.
Of course as you will have to run Odin and flash CWM recovery on your Galaxy S2 Plus by using the same, you will need to have access to a Windows running computer, to your smartphone and to its USB cable. Then, enable the USB debugging option on your device, charge its battery if there is less than 60% power left and deactivate all the security tools that are running on your computer and phone. Without taking care of the mentioned aspects you will have problems in flashing the recovery image and also you will risk in bricking your S2 Plus (in case the phone will get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure).
This step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus model number GT-I9105. The S2 Plus is an improved version of the original Galaxy S2, which means that we are not dealing with the same handset. Therefore, make sure that the steps from below are being completed only for the S2 Plus and not for a similar device because else you can end up in bricking your beloved Android based phone.
How to Install CWM Recovery on Galaxy S2 Plus GT-I9105
- First you have to install the drivers for the Galaxy S2 Plus on your computer; without getting the drivers you won’t be able to complete this procedure.
- So, download and install Samsung KIES on your PC.
- Then, you can get the CWM recovery file by using the link from here (the tool along with this method is being provided by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present tutorial).
- Up next, on your computer download and install Odin.
- On the computer extract the recovery file you have just downloaded.
- Take your handset and reboot it into download mode.
- You can enter the download mode by pressing on the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
- Now, open Odin and the computer and then connect your device with the same by using the USB cord.
- Once the connection establish, on Odin the “added” message should be displayed and also the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue.
- If not, you must reinstall the drivers on the computer; then repeat the steps from above.
- From Odin you need to select “PDA”; then pick the recovery file from your computer.
- On Odin only the “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time” options must be enabled; the “Repartition” box must be unchecked.
- Click on “start”.
- Once the installation procedure ends (the “pass” message will be displayed on Odin) you can remove the USB cord and reboot your phone.
- If Odin gets stuck while you are trying to complete the up mentioned steps you need to close the program, unplug the USB cable, reinstall the drivers on the computer, force restart your S2 Plus and then repeat the procedure from the beginning.
- If you will get a boot loop (after installing CWM recovery) you will have to boot into recovery mode by pressing the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together and from there select: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; then choose “reboot system now” and you are done.
So, there you have it; now you know how to easily install CWM recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus. You can look forward in tweaking your phone, though you still need to root its system first; don’t worry a suitable root guide is available for your so use our how to section for searching the same (if not you can choose to use a general root solution, or a one click root procedure available for several Samsung branded devices). Also, use the comments area from below for sharing your thoughts, questions and opinions related to this tutorial with us and with other Galaxy S2 Plus users.