HTC One hasn’t been yet released but it seems that those of xda-developers had already managed to bring important guides for its future users. As we have already showed you, there has been made available the unlock bootloader procedure for the HTC One, so as expected, now we will be checking on how to install a custom recovery image, CWM recovery, on your smartphone. Therefore everything is being prepared for the upcoming custom ROMs meaning that only good stuffs will be released for HTC’s 2013 flagship. Stick to the lines from below if you want to learn how to easily flash ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery on your HTC One.
CWM recovery is a custom recovery image that will replace the stock recovery that is being featured on all the Android based devices. Furthermore, ClockworkMod Recovery is the most used custom recovery tool by worldwide Android users, the app bringing important features and capabilities that can be easily handled. Well, I will teach you how to install the same on your HTC One, this being the last step that must be completed by those who are looking forward in updating their handsets with Android powered custom ROMs firmware.
By using CWM recovery on your HTC One you will be able to perform backup and restore operations, along with maintenance, optimization, customization procedures and also install .zip files from the SD card. Therefore, if you want to complete this tutorial, then you first have to prepare your smartphone for the installation procedure that will shortly follow.
CWM recovery is a complex tool that can be installed only on a rooted system, which means that you first have to root the HTC One. This aspect means that the warranty will get void. When you root the OS, you are actually removing the factory restrictions so that you can gain access to the internal system; so as expected when performing such operations the warranty gets void. You can restore the warranty by unrooting, or if you downgrade / update your HTC One to stock firmware.
Also, it is recommended to backup the data which is being saved on the internal storage memory of your handset as by using this method all of your personal info will be wiped out. It will be a good idea to save your contacts, calendar info, market apps, text messages, call logs and basically everything else you might need afterwards.
Now, you need to unlock the bootloader of the HTC One too, or else you will not be able to safely install CWM recovery on your phone. Because of that you might have problems on the future when trying to apply OTA updates. Usually, after unlocking the bootloader and rooting, the OTA update will no longer be available for you, so you will have to manually update your device with the official Android firmware.
Your phone is now prepared for the flashing operation, but for properly installing the CWM recovery tool on your HTC One you still have to perform the following tasks:
- The recovery tool has to be downloaded on a Windows running computer.
- Also, on the same computer download and install the drivers for your device by using the link from here.
- Go to the phone’s menu and enable the “fastboot” option.
- Charge the battery of your smartphone; you should skip this step if there is more than 60% power left.
- Deactivate the security programs and settings that are installed on both computer and handset.
- Download Fastboot files by using the link from here.
- Then, extract the same on your computer.
- This step by step guide should be applied only by the HTC One users; else you will end up in bricking your Android based device.
How to Install ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery on HTC One
- Download CWM recovery by using the link from here.
- Then, copy the file to the Fastboot folder from your computer.
- Now, turn off the phone.
- Reboot by pressing the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time until the screen turns on. Then, press the power button once to select “FASTBOOT”, after which “HBOOT” will change into “FASTBOOT USB”; in this way you will be able to boot the HTC One into bootloader mode.
- Connect the handset with the computer via USB cable.
- The drivers will now be installed.
- Open the Fastboot folder and from there open a command prompt window (hold down the SHIFT button on your keyboard, then right-click on an empty part of the screen and select “Open command window here”).
- In the cmd window type “fastboot devices” and press “enter”.
- Up next, on the same cmd window type the command: “fastboot flash recovery *filename*.img”; replace *filename* with the name of the cwm recovery file you have downloaded before.
- The installation procedure should begin now.
- If everything will go as planned, in the end you should see the “finished / okay” message displayed.
- That was all; you can remove the USB cable and reboot your device.
Now, for booting into recovery here is what you need to do:
- Turn off the HTC One.
- Reboot by pressing the Volume Down and Power buttons together.
- Press the Volume Down for selecting the “recovery” option.
- Press Power button to select the same and wait while your phone is booting into recovery.
- For rebooting into Android just select “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, you have installed ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery on your HTC One. Now you can easily update your device with a custom ROM firmware, so stay close as we will bring suitable guides for you. If you have encounter problems while trying to complete the above steps, use the comments area from below and share the issues with us so that we can help you out.