In order to install a custom ROM on your smartphone, you will first need to flash a CWM Recovery image. This is the one that allows users to install new custom ROMs and install other files on Android devices so that users will benefit from an enhanced experience.
Use all the info listed in this article and you’ll manage to successfully the ClockworkMod Recovery image on your Motorola RAZR i. The pack for CWM Recovery has been released by turl1, an XDA Senior Member. You can easily flash the files listed in this post. First thing that you need to do is to read the guidelines below:
- Install the CWM Recovery files only on the Motorola RAZR i phone. Do not attempt to flash it on any other smartphones.
- Backup all the data you have currently stored on your device and on the internal SD card. This step is required in case your device doesn’t have its bootloader unlocked. This means that you need to follow the steps on Motorola’s web site and learn how to unlock the phone’s bootloader ( link here ). In case your device already runs an unlocked bootloader then you can skip the backup steps.
- Install the Android SDK from HERE. This file will add the USB drivers for your Motorola phone. Skip this step in case you already have the Android SDK or the required drivers installed on your computer.
- You can choose to backup individually a list of installed applications, SMS, call logs and the APN Internet Settings using these programs for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Some of these apps will ask for root access.
- Also, you can choose to sync your Contacts with the Gmail account.
- Enable USB debugging from your phone’s Developer Options.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power off while you’re flashing the CWM Recovery image.
- Note that we cannot be blamed if you damage your device. You’re the only responsible in case something goes wrong and you cannot use your smartphone after applying the steps listed in this post.
- If you’re having troubles in completing this update, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, you can move to the tutorial. Read the entire guide and only after you’re sure that you know what you’re doing, you should begin to apply all actions listed below.
How to install CWM Recovery on Motorola RAZR i:
- Download the Fastboot zip file from HERE. Extract the files in this zip and save them to a desktop folder. You should obtain 4 files inside the Fastboot folder.
- Download the ClockworkMod Recovery img file from HERE.
- After the download is complete you should move the file in the ‘Fastboot’ folder. Now, this folder will contain 5 files. Move to the next step.
- Power off your Motorola RAZR i smartphone now.
- Boot it into Boot Mode Selection Menu. Do it by pressing at the same time ‘volume up’, ‘volume down’ + ‘power’. Release the buttons when the menu appears. Select ‘AP Fastboot’ and press ‘Power’ button to load it.
- Now connect your RAZR i device to your PC using the USB cable. Windows will install the USB Drivers.
- Next, open the Fastboot folder and then press SHIFT key and at the same time right-click on the white space in the directory. Select ‘open command window here’ from the context menu. This will launch the Command Prompt window and you need to get to the next step. Windows 8 users can easily access this by right-clicking on the bottom-left corner of Taskbar and then select ‘command prompt admin’. The next steps will tell you how to flash CWM Recovery.
- Enter the following command in the Command Prompt window:
- fastboot devices – a device ID will be shown in cmd window. If you don’t see it then you will have to re-install the USB drivers.
- fastboot flash recovery recovery-razri-try9touch.img – when the recovery file is installed you need to enter the next command.
- fastboot reboot-bootloader – now your phone will restart into Boot Mode Selection Menu.
- Select the ‘recovery’ option to restart your device into CWM Recovery.
- That is it, your device now features the ClockworkMod Recovery image and you’ve completed successfully all steps.
If you don’t like this new recovery image, then you should get the ‘stock recovery’ file and then repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 3.
I hope that you’ve managed to successfully flash all the files that I’ve listed in this guide. In case you cannot install CWM Recovery then you should ask for more help in our comments field.
Now that your phone features the CWM Recovery, use it to flash custom ROMs and any other files so that you’ll enhance the performance and experience for your Motorola Razr i phone.