This guide will teach you how to install CWM Recovery on your brand new Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet. Read all the instructions listed in the tutorial and make sure that you use the comments section to ask for our help to complete the CWM Recovery flash process.
The CWM Recovery has to be installed on your device before rooting the device, as the root process can only be started if your tablet already has clockworkmod recovery installed on it. Also, the CWM Recovery can be used afterwards to install custom ROMs and with these you will improve the overall performances of your Galaxy S Tab 2 10.1 tablet. Also, this software can be used to create full backups, perform clean flash, reformat the SD card, create an extra partition on your tablet’s memory card and the most important function of CWM Recovery is that you can use it to flash custom ROMs.
Welton, an XDA senior developer, along with a team of developers are behind this release and all credit shoul go to them. Before we can begin to install CWM on your device, you will first have to read the preparation instructions and learn how to properly prepare your tablet for the flashing process. Here’s what you need to know:
- This guides will work only with Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablets with these model numbers: GT P5100, GT P5110 and GT P5113. Do not attempt to install this CWM Recovery on other smartphones or tablets.
- Install the USB drivers for Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 on your computer. These can installed via Samsung KIES, but you have to remember to close the Samsung KIES after the installation is complete.
- Disable all the antivirus software that is currently running on your computer and this means that no other program will interfere with the custom recovery installation.
- Charge the tablet’s battery until it reaches at least 70% power level. Enable USB debugging mode.
- Backup all your important files by moving them to your device’s internal or external sd card. You can also choose to move them on your computer via USB cable.
- Contacts can be synced with your Gmail account so that you will be able to restore them back on your tablet after the CWM recovery is applied.
- Backup your installed applications, APN Settings, Call Logs info and SMS text messages using these Android apps: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Backup & Restore.
That’s all the info you had to know and now you’re free to move to the tutorial guide. Please note that you’re applying the new changes at your own risk and you shouldn’t blame us in case your tablet develops problems or it gets damaged during the CWM Recovery installation process. Now that you’ve made sure to backup the data and prepare your tablet for the installation of this custom recovery image, then you’re free to move to the tutorial guide.
How to install CWM Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet:
- Download Odin zip from here. Save it and after that unzip its contents in a single folder.
- Next, download CWM Recovery zip from here. It’s a ‘recovery.tar.md5’ file and you should copy it into the Odin folder.
- Now power off the Galaxy Tab 2 tablet.
- Boot into download mode. To do that you need to press and hold the ‘volume up’ and ‘Power’ buttons simultaneously. When an yellow Android logo appears you should press ‘volume down’ and your device your go into Download Mode.
- Now, launch Odin exe from your PC.
- After Odin launches you need to connect the tablet to your computer. Odin screen should display an ‘added’ alert. This means that all drivers have been successfully installed and that you can move to the next step.
- In Odin, click the ‘PDA’ button.
- Browse for the ‘recovery.tar.md5’ file. Confirm the selection. Don’t change any of the Odin’s default settings.
- Now click Start and ODIN will begin to flash the Clockworkmod Recovery feature to your Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 device.
- When the installation is complete you should notice an alert message in Odin and your device will then restart automatically. Disconnect it from your computer and wait for it to reboot.
When the reboot process is complete, your device should feature CWM Recovery. That’s would be all. In case your device doesn’t have Clockworkmod recovery installed, then you should repeat the entire process once again and this time you have to make sure that you apply all the steps I have listed above. Remember to use the comments field to post all your extra questions.
Now that your device has CWM Recovery installed, it means that you’re ready to root the device. Click the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 link under the photo and you should find a rooting guide.