If you have recently bought the Micromax Canvas HD A116 smartphone then you are probably looking for a root solution. Well, now you can learn how to root and also how to install CWM recovery on your Micromax Canvas HD, meaning that you are able to prepare your phone for the custom ROMs that will soon be released. Anyway, the rooting procedure is quite complex, so make sure that you are reading all the lines from below, or else you will probably mess things up, or worst you can end up in bricking your new Android based device.
As mentioned, by following this step by step guide, beside the root procedure, you will also learn how to install CWM recovery on your Micromax Canvas HD A116 therefore you have all the reasons for completing the same. After taking care of this tutorial you will be able to update your phone with a custom ROM firmware and to perform customization and optimization procedures in order to improve the performances and for adding new apps, features and capabilities to the default Android Jelly Bean system.
Furthermore, once you root the Canvas HD, you will be able to access the internal system and remove in built programs. In this way you will be able to gain speed and improve the battery life, not to mention that you can personalize the looks of your device. Basically, by gaining root access you are removing the factory restrictions and default settings from the internal system of your device which means that your handset will become your new playground. On the other hand, by installing CWM recovery on the Canvas HD you will be able to backup the data and the system faster and easier, you will be able to perform maintenance operations, flashing .zip files and a lot more.
As you can see you have all the reasons for completing the present step by step guide. Unfortunately, as this is an unofficial operation, by applying the same you will void the Micromax Canvas HD A116 warranty. Now, if you will need the warranty back you will have to make a downgrade to stock operation, or you can wait for an official update to come. Also, if you have a rooted phone you will not be able to receive future OTA updates, therefore you will have to manually install the stock / official firmware on your Canvas HD.
Before going any further, I recommend you to backup the data which is being saved on the internal storage memory of your smartphone. All of your personal info will be erased as the system will be wiped out therefore a backup is a must have. So take your time and use Market apps for saving your text messages, call logs, contacts list, market apps, calendar info and so on.
It’s also important to prepare your phone for the procedure that will shortly follow. Because of that you need to complete the pre requisites list; I have detailed the same below, so before starting to root your Micromax Canvas HD apply the next tasks. Else you will not be able to safely complete this tutorial.
- Remember to backup the data; also remember that the warranty will get void.
- A Windows running computer is being required and you must have access to your phone and to its USB cable.
- Deactivate the security tools that are being running on your computer and on your handset; these programs might interfere with the root operation.
- You need to charge the battery of your smartphone in case you notice that there is less than 60% power left; else the device might get turned off while trying to install CWM recovery and root the system.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Canvas HD from “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- This tutorial is suitable only with the Micromax Canvas HD A116 so don’t use the steps from below for a different or similar device as you will end up in bricking the same.
How to Install CWM Recovery and Root the Micromax Canvas HD A116
- Download the drivers from here and install the same on your computer; then restart the PC.
- Then, on your computer download the SP Flash Tools file from here and CWM Recovery Package from here.
- Also, download the root package from here and the root files (file 1 from here and file 2 from here).
- Connect the handset with the computer by using the USB cable.
- Copy the root files on your phone.
- On the computer extract the SP Flash tool and open the same.
- Up next, from the Window that opens select “Scatter loading”.
- Go to the extracted folder of the root package, to the “S9201_MP_F4_B1_IN_MMX_0.16_flasher_user” folder and select the “MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc” file. This is actually the Canvas HDs scatter loading file.
- Next, check the “Recovery.img” option (uncheck all the other options).
- Disconnect the phone from the computer and turn it off.
- Go on Flash tool and from there select “USB Mode” and enable the same.
- Up next go to “Options -> DA Download All -> Speed -> High Speed”.
- Click on the “download” button.
- Re-connect the phone with the computer without turning it on.
- Now the updating process will begin.
- When the installation procedure ends, disconnect the device from the PC.
- Reboot the Canvas HD by pressing on the Volume Rocker and Power buttons at the same time, until a new option will appear on the screen.
- When that happens, press on volume Up in order to boot into recovery mode.
- Now, from the recovery menu select “flash update.zip” and install the two files (the rooting files) which you have downloaded before.
- The rooting operation will begin; wait until it’s over and in the end reboot your device as you are done.
So, now your Micromax Canvas HD A116 has been rooted and installed with CWM recovery. Congratulations you have safely completed the step by step guide meaning that your work for today is done. Now, you can easily update your device with a custom ROM firmware and also perform optimization and customization operations. If you have questions or if you want to share something with us, use the comments area from below.