CyanAOSP Android 4.4 custom ROM is a new build that you can flash for your Galaxy S i9000. This is not an official Samsung update but a custom ROM based on CyanogenMod 11 and AOSP Android 4.4 that you can use in order to test the latest OS version from Google.
CyanAOSP KK 4.4 custom ROM is stable, built from CyanogenMod 11 source, packs O3 tweaks, debloated, custom CM kernel, multiple UI enhancements and tons of other great small tweaks that should offer a great KitKat experience. Before starting the updating process you will first need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S model number I9000.
- do not attempt to flash this custom ROM on any other Android smartphone as you will end up bricking its firmware.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest version of CWM Recovery.
- the ‘factory reset’ step is required for this post so you shouldn’t skip it.
- factory reset wipes all data from the system partition, but it won’t delete contents from the internal storage.
- make sure not to skip the NANDROID ROM backup step.
- it will create a full NANDROID Backup for your currently installed ROM.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- backup data from installed applications using the Helium tool from Google Play Store here.
- backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings with the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- guide here.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the device won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and remember that this is a guide for advanced users.
- do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this and learn how to update your smartphone with a custom Android 4.4 ROM.
How to flash CyanAOPS KitKat 4.4 custom ROM for Galaxy S I9000:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer and then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- when the files are copied, disconnect your device from PC and then continue to the next step.
- don’t unzip the files.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it now in CWM Recovery Mode:
- press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons, all at the same time.
- release the buttons when the home screen appears.
- Create the NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM now:
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and save it on your device’s internal storage.
- Now apply Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm the process.
- Flash the CyanAOSP KK 4.4 ROM:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the custom ROM zip and confirm its installation.
- After the ROM is installed, repeat step 8 and flash the Gapps zip.
- When both files are installed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device and wait until the new ROM boots in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process takes a while before loading all files.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen of your new ROM appears.
That’s it, now you’ve completed the installation of this new custom ROM for your Galaxy S.
In case the first boot process takes too long to complete or the phone enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Also, in case you don’t like this new ROM, use the NANDROID ROM Backup file in step 6 and restore your device to its previous ROM.
For any other questions, use the comments field below.