CM 10.1.2 Stable build is now available for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus device. You can use the info that I have listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully update it in under 10 minutes.
In order to make sure that you successfully flash the new custom ROM, you will first have to take a look at these guidelines:
- This guide will work only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone.
- Do not attempt to install the CM 10.1.2 Stable zip you find in this post on any other Galaxy Nexus variant, as you will brick it.
- Your VZW Galaxy Nexus needs to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as TWRP or CWM.
- In the tutorial you will find a step that tells you to wipe data and factory reset your device before installing the new ROM.
- The Factory Reset will wipe system partition contents, which will remove all installed apps data, SMS, Call Logs info and other similar files.
- Use the Titanium Backup tool to save installed applications data.
- If you want to backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings, then you should use these utilities for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these apps.
- sync your Contacts with the Gmail account you’ve assigned as default for your smartphone.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that your device’s battery has enough power left in it before switching off completely.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps listed below.
- This is a guide for advanced users.
- We can’t be blamed in case you brick your device in the process nor in case you lose any important files in the process.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the tutorial and learn how to flash a CyanogenMod ROM for your device. If you cannot complete any of the steps listed below then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to update Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus with CM 10.1.2 Stable ROM build:
- Download CM 10.1.2 Stable zip file from here.
> save the file on your PC and don’t unzip its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from here.
> don’t extract the contents of the zip and save the file on PC.
- Connect your Verizon Galaxy Nexus with your computer.
- Now move both files on your device’s internal SDcard. After the update is complete you should disconnect the device from PC.
- Boot your device into Bootloader Mode and then boot the Recovery mode.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘ backup and restore’ option and confirm the process.
> TWRP Recovery: press Backup, then select the files you wish to backup. Confirm.
- Next, apply a factory reset for your device:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm.
> TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Now you can flash the CM 10.1.2 Stable ROM:
> CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file and confirm the process.
> TWRP: press Install, then browse your phone’s internal SDcard and flash the new CM 10.1.2 ROM.
- When the ROM installation is complete, repeat step 8 and install the Gapps zip.
- After both files are successfully installed, get back to the main Recovery screen.
- Reboot system into normal mode now.
- Enter your Google Account details when the CyanogenMod 10.1.2 Stable ROM shows its home screen.
- That’s it, the update is complete and you can start testing the new ROM.
In case the new ROM doesn’t install at first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again. Custom ROMs might not always install at first try but eventually you should manage to flash all the files successfully.
If you don’t like how the new CM 10.1.2 Stable ROM works with your Verizon Galaxy Nexus, then you should restore the device to its previous NANDROID Backup using the file created in step 6. If you have any other questions, then you should use the info listed below.