How to Install CM10 on HTC One S
The Android 4.1 Jelly Bean flavor is coming to the HTC One S users, as a beta version of CyanogenMod 10 has just been leaked and it’s available for their devices. To make it clear, by completing this step by step guide you will be able to manually update your One S with the Jelly Bean based, CM10 custom ROM firmware. Be aware though as the software isn’t yet officially available, meaning that there are things, or features that works and some that doesn’t perform really well. Anyway, more about this during the following lines, so for making a proper idea about this operation check the same.
The HTC One S is one of the most interesting and powerful smartphones available on the market, being powered by high end specs and features. As you know, currently it is running the ICS OS (many users decided to flash a custom ROM as it offers more capabilities and because it is increasing the performances) and with the Jelly Bean almost here, it’s unfortunate not to update your S with the latest Android version available. We will be checking in how to do this by using the CM10 custom ROM, which is the most popular Android based ROM among users worldwide.
CyanogenMod, similar with any other custom ROMs, is being designed for providing features and capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android platform. In this way, your phone will be powered up and you will gain more access to its system, which by the way will be unchained from the factory restrictions. The most relevant features which will be added are: you will gain more speed, you will be able to download apps from outside the Google Play area, make backups easier, optimize and customize the looks and use the personalized theme manager (you will get a different interface from the one featured by default).
As already mentioned the CM10 is still in beta. This means that not all the features will work for your HTC One S handset. Furthermore, the update was tested by those of xda-developers and according to them here is what works and what doesn’t:
If you decide to update the HTC One S with CM10, then you should know that you must gain root access first. Then, you must install a custom recovery image on your phone. You cannot complete this tutorial unless you take care of these tasks so take your time and make everything as it should. Furthermore, when you root the handset, you will make changes into its system and OS. So, the warranty will get void. This means that if you will brick your device while rooting, then you will be on your own; be careful in what you do and always follow a step by step guide.
If you will want to restore the warranty, then, you will have to downgrade to the stock ROM or just wait for the official Android update to be released. Anyway, after completing the operations from above you should also perform a backup. As you will update the One S with a custom ROM it’s indicate to save the data first. There are many ways in which you can take care of that, but here are some tips from the Android.gs team, maybe you will find them suitable for you:
- Download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- Download Call log backup and restore.
- Save the contacts by syncing with your Gmail account.
- Save the Internet settings.
- Use a computer for storing other files like images or videos.
- Use a custom recovery image and backup / restore the current ROM.
Beside these, you will have to complete the rest of the pre requisites which I have listed below:
- Charge the phone before beginning the steps.
- On the computer you will use and on your phone deactivate the security tools or uninstall them. In this way nothing will interfere with the installation process.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your smartphone.
With that you are done with the preparation things. You are now ready and prepared for updating the HTC One S to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Read and complete the steps from below and then test the new ROM for ensuring that everything is ok.
How to Install CyanogenMod 10 on HTC One S
- First, download the files needed.
- The download link for the CM 10 ROM is here.
- The download link for Google apps is here.
- Place the files on your PC.
- Then, connect the One S by using the USB cord.
- Copy both files from the computer to your phone.
- Disconnect the device.
- Turn it off.
- Reboot in recovery mode by pressing and holding on Volume Down Key and OK button while powering on.
- From recovery first select to make a wipe.
- For the wipe: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, select to flash the ROM and the Google apps.
- For the ROM and for the apps: “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file first and then do the same for the Google apps.
- Return to recovery (“+++go back+++”) and then select “reboot system now”.
That was it; the how to procedure from which you could learn how to manually update the HTC One S handset to Jelly Bean OS via CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM. Remember that there are features that doesn’t perform really well, so don’t get scared if you notice bugs in the system. Do tell us how things worked for you and if you like the new OS. Also stay close as we will update you with new guides for your HTC One S in the coming days.