Official CM 12 Nightly builds are now live for the Sony Xperia Tablet Z Wi-Fi Edition and you can use this post in order to learn how to successfully flash it.
The CM 12 Nightly ROM is based on the latest AOSP Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware builds. Besides all the stock Lollipop settings and features you will also find tons of extra small components added by the CyanogenMod team. Check the CyanogenMod website here for more info on the work done by te CM team on this release.
Before starting the installation process you should read the following guidelines:
- use this post only with the Sony Xperia Tablet Z Wi-Fi model.
– do not try to use this guide for any other different Xperia Tablet Z device.
– your tablet is nicknamed “pollux_windy”.
- the Wi-Fi Xperia Tablet Z should be on an unlocked bootloader, it has to be rooted and running the latest build of either CWM or TWRP custom Recovery image.
– the installed custom Recovery needs to be updated to its latest build, so that it supports the installation of a brand new Android 5.x Lollipop ROM.
- in the tutorial part of this post you will find two extra preparation steps: NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset.
– NANDROID Backup creates a complete restore point for your device, it backs up all the data that has been installed by the previous ROM.
– the ‘factory reset’ process has to be applied so that you will remove the previous ROM from the system memory partition, so that the new CM 12 Nightly ROM will be installed on a clean system memory partition.
– the ‘factory reset’ doesn’t remove any data from internal storage, all your photos, videos, documents and similar files are safe from deletion.
- in case you need to save important files from applications that are installed on your device, then you can do it by backing them up to cloud or using an app like Helium tool for Android.
– Contacts details and People info can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- check the device’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it prevents the device from powering down during the installation process.
- this is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you end up losing any data nor in case you brick the device.
- read the whole guide and don’t skip any steps.
Keep in mind that you can continue updating the CM 12 Nightly ROM with new Nightlies by using the CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings> About Device section.
How to flash CM 12 Nightly ROM for Xperia Tablet Z Wi-Fi:
- Download the CM 12 Nightly ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for CM 12 ROMs here.
- Move both zip files to your tablet’s internal storage after the downloads are complete.
– do not unzip the archived contents.
– disconnect the device from PC after all files are copied with success.
- Power off the tablet and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- From CWM / TWRP Custom Recovery menu you should first create a NANDROID Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: use the ‘backup’ menu.
– rename the file and confirm process.
- Now you can ‘factory reset’ the device:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ process.
– TWRP: press ‘wipe’.
- Start the CM 12 Nightly ROM install process for your Xperia Tablet Z Wi-Fi:
– for CWM use the ‘install zip from sdcard’> ‘choose zip from sdcard’ options menu.
– for TWRP: select the ‘install’ menu.
- Find the CM 12 Nightly zip and confirm its installation process.
– wait until all files are successfully installed.
- After the custom ROM is flashed you can install the Gapps zip too using the same options as in step 7 in order to find the file.
- Reboot the tablet in normal mode after all the new files have been successfully installed.
– note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Use your usual login details in order to take control over your device once again.
In case you need any extra help, then you can tell us in comments.