A new custom KitKat ROM is available for the Galaxy S Plus. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully install it on your device without bricking it.
This custom ROM is obviously based on CyanogenMod 11 and AOSP Android 4.4.2 ROM. Most features are working correctly and if you want to learn more then you should take a look at the XDA thread here. Before starting the installation you have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S Plus I9001.
- do not attempt to update any other Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- Your phone has to be rooted.
- CWM Recovery should be installed on it, as this is the tool we will use to flash the new ROM.
- make sure that the custom Recovery is updated to its latest version, so that it will support KitKat ROMs.
- Do not skip any steps that I’ve listed in the tutorial.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users, read the entire post and do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- If you want to backup data from installed apps then use Helium tool for Android here.
- note that Helium can backup SMS and other data too.
- Sync Contacts info and People details with your default Gmail account — here.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Flash DarkCM KitKat 4.4.2 ROM for Galaxy S Plus I9001:
- Download the ROM file from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your device to your PC and then move both zip files to its internal /sdcard storage.
- after the files are copied you can disconnect the phone from PC.
- do not unzip the archived contents.
- Power off your device now and then boot it in CWM Recovery Mode.
- First, create a NANDROID ROM Backup:
- select ‘backup and restore’, then name the file and confirm process.
- Apply the Factory Reset for your device:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm.
- Next, install the new ROM:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the ROM file and confirm its installation.
- After the DarkCM KitKat ROM is flashed on your Galaxy S Plus you need to install Gapps file too.
- use the same options as in step 7 and install Gapps.
- Return to the main custom Recovery screen when the new ROM is flashed.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process takes a while to complete which is why you should wait.
- Enter the Google Account info and take control over your phone once again.
These were all the steps you had to take, now you can test the ROM.
Ask for more help in comments in case you didn’t manage to complete the guide.