As we all know, keeping our Android devices updated can ensure a stable and also a secured firmware. So, if you want to use your Samsung Galaxy A3 without experiencing any software related issues, you should apply all the latest patches released by your OEM. And in that respect, you should learn that Samsung already released the December Security software for the 2017 model of the Galaxy A3. Thus, resume the lines from below and learn how to successfully complete this flashing process.
The December security update can be received on your Galaxy A3 only if your smartphone is running on stock Android OS and only if you haven’t tweaked your device yet. Bottom line, if you want to receive the OTA notification your device should already run on official Android platform. Otherwise (for example, if root access is ensured) the only way in which you can still update your handset is by using a manual flashing operation that uses Odin as the flashing program – and that’s what we are going to do during the following lines.
The December Security patch is here to address Android vulnerabilities and to add new bug fixes and stability improvements. Security add-ons are also included so overall, by flashing this Android 7.0 Nougat firmware you can ensure a stable and a smooth experience all the time, regardless of what you choose to run or use on your Samsung Galaxy A3.
As already pointed out, during the following guidelines I will show you how to complete the update operation by using Odin – this is a specialized program developed by Samsung and designed especially for update types of operations. However, you will flash the full firmware package and not the OTA build – don’t worry, you are still going to initiate an official process so Samsung KNOX won’t get tripped. Shortly, you won’t lose your phone’s warranty and you won’t have to use complex or risky third party software.
A backup must be applied before starting the update operation as while using Odin your files might get corrupted or even wiped out. Thus, if you have important info saved on your Samsung Galaxy A3, before updating to December Security patch, take a few moments and secure your contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and anything else you might have to use afterwards. A general backup can be applied without problems by syncing your files with your Google Account, by downloading compatible backup and restore apps from Google Play or by using built-in cloud storage platforms.
On your smartphone, before using Odin, go and make these changes: from ‘menu – > settings – > about phone’ tap repeatedly on Built Number until you receive the ‘you are a developer’ message; then, access Developer Options (from menu – > settings) and from there check the USB Debugging field.
Since this is a manual update operation, for updating your Galaxy A3 2017 to December Security patch you will need to use a computer. There, the drivers for your phone must be installed – you can easily and quickly install the drivers by using the Samsung KIES toolkit.
It’s essential to verify the power that’s left on your phone before starting the steps explained below. You need to do that because if the power is lower than 50% your handset might get turned off, and possible bricked, during the flashing process. Therefore, as a general rule you should plug in the charger as a precaution measure.
Complete this step by step guide only if you own the Samsung Galaxy A3 2017. The Android 7.0 Nougat firmware package mentioned below is compatible only with this particular Android powered smartphone.
Install December Security Patch on Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017)
- On your computer install Odin – download the program from here and then run the executable file for resuming the installation process.
- Download the December Security patch for your smartphone from this page – place the file on desktop.
- Launch Odin on your computer and afterwards put your handset in download mode: press and hold Power, Volume Down and Home buttons together until download mode is reached.
- Connect your phone with your computer via USB cable – take a look on Odin as the ‘added’ message should be now displayed and the ID:COM field should be turned yellow or blue. If that’s not happening, reinstall the USB Drivers and repeat the steps from above.
- You can afterwards click on the AP option; browse for the Android 7.0 Nougat firmware file and load it inside the flashing software.
- When prompted, don’t check the Auto Reboot and Re Partition options.
- Click on Start for initiating the update process and wait until it’s done.
- Finally, remove the USB cable, close Odin and reboot your Samsung Galaxy A3 2017.
- In case Odin gets stuck, close it. Then, unplug the USB cable and force restart your handset. In the end, reinstall your phone’s drivers and repeat the update operation as explained above.
- Similar, if your device gets stuck in a boot loop, go ahead and access recovery mode – press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power keys; from recovery make a hard reset and clear app data cache by picking up ‘wipe data factory reset’ and ‘wipe cache partition’.
Good work; the latest December security patch should now run on your Samsung Galaxy A3 2017. Stay close for further update opportunities or for tweaking possibilities in case you want to customize, optimize and personalize your Android device. Don’t forget, we are here to assist you as soon as possible so don’t hesitate and contact us if you have any sort of questions.