Earlier this month, we have brought you the first news about Doomlord’s Extended Edition Recovery, which if you don’t know, is the re-designed and improved version of the ClockworkMod Recovery custom recovery image for Android. Anyway, back then, we didn’t know on when it will be made available, so we couldn’t offer many aspects about its future availability. But, fortunately for us, things went faster than speculated, as thanks to those of xda-developers you can now learn how to install Doomlord’s ClockworkMod Recovery on your Xperia S handset.
This is exactly what we will be checking in today’s step by step guide, so for the full tutorial read the following lines. It will not be an easy procedure to complete but if you follow my directions, everything should be just fine. I have detailed all the steps so everybody can understand what to do; don’t do things on your own as you can brick your phone. There are several notes that you must know before starting the basic operation, so don’t skip sections from this how to guide. Furthermore, don’t apply the same for similar devices.
As already stated, Doomlord’s custom recovery image is the improved and updated version of the classic ClockworkMod Recovery image. Many features have been added into the system, the app being more powerful and useful than it used to be. For the full list of the features check our previous post – just click and follow the link from above.
Now, as usual, a custom recovery image must be flashed on your Android powered device if you want to make other operations with its internal system. And this fact can be applied for the Xperia S users too. You must learn how to install Doomlord’s ClockworkMod Recovery on your phone if you are looking in flashing a custom ROM on it, or if you want to update its OS with custom, beta, or unofficial firmware. So, for powering the performances of your smartphone you must first complete this task.
But, first of all backup the Sony Xperia S data. A full wipe of the system might be required, so for avoiding any unpleasant situations, it will be a good idea to save your personal info. There are many ways in which you can perform a backup operation, use the one you prefer the most. Also, you can use our guides, which can be checked by following:
- Backup SMS and other text messages: download backup and restore apps for Android.
- Backup Call log: get backup and restore tools for Android.
- Backup contacts: learn how to sync with Google.
- Use a computer or the phone’s SD card to store the images, or videos files.
That’s not all. For being able to install a custom recovery image on your Xperia S you must first root your handset. And as soon as you do that the Sony warranty will get void. In case you are not comfortable with this aspect, maybe it is a good idea to stop going any further. You can restore the warranty only if you re-lock the bootloader of if you downgrade to the official version of the firmware. More about the Xperia S bootloader can be discovered in our previous guides.
Finally, here are the operations you must “prepare”; without these you will not be able to flash Doomlord’s ClockworkMod Recovery. Don’t worry as all the aspects needed are included in the list:
- Make sure you can use a Window running computer.
- On this PC and on your device go and disable all the security programs and Firewall tools.
- Charge the Xperia S. There should be enough power (70% minimum) for keeping your phone “alive”.
- In your smartphone go and check the USB debugging option. You can achieve this by going to: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Install fastboot on your PC. This is coming with ADB, so get the same on the PC.
- Remember to gain root access on your smartphone.
As soon as you manage to complete all the up mentioned lines you can go and check the next and also last section of the present guide. Read carefully and follow the steps:
How to Install Doomlord’s ClockworkMod Recovery on Xperia S
- Download the Doomlord CWM Recovery image (download link here) and the Wi Fi Module for Doom Kernel (download link here) and place the same to the computer.
- Go and rename the “S-DooMKernel-v01_kernel.elf” file into “kernel.elf”.
- Copy the file renamed on the same folder with ADB / fastboot.
- Take your phone and its USB cord and by using both connect it with the computer.
- Copy-paste the “S-DooMKernel-v01-Modules.zip” file from the PC to the Xperia S SD card.
- Disconnect the smartphone from the computer.
- Reboot it by entering in fastboot; press the Volume Up button while connecting the phone with the PC.
- On the computer open command prompt (Start -> run -> cmd) and enter the command: fastboot flash boot kernel.elf. If this isn’t working try with: fastboot -i 0x0fce flash boot kernel.elf.
- The handset should reboot.
- When you see the light turn blue hold the Voluem Up button. The Xperia S will enter in recovery mode.
- In the recovery menu select “install zip from sd card” and pick the file copied there on step 3.
- The installation procedure should begin. Don’t press anything as the process might take up to 10 minutes to complete.
- In the end, from the recovery mode menu select “reboot system now” and you are done.
There you have it; that was the easiest and fastest way in which you can learn how to install Doomlord’s ClockworkMod Recovery on your Xperia S smartphone. Do tell us if there were problems on your way, of if you had issues in understanding one of my directions. Now you can go and update your Xperia S with the lasts ROMs available. Take a look and see if the Cyanogen Mod 9 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM is what you are looking for.