Install Experimental OmniROM Android 4.3 for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
OmniROM is a brand new project based on AOSP Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and now it is available for the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully flash this custom ROM on your smartphone without bricking it.
Note that this is still a ‘work in progress’ and experimental custom ROM, while its main features are these: multi-window, roadrunner mode, flippable quick settings, daydream improvements, multi-workspace, integrated performance control, color-changeable, 3D depth Phase Bean and multiple other. This is not a stable release and you might experience some errors while running it, which is why it is recommended only for advanced users who want to tinker with their phone’s operating system.
In order to successfully install the new ROM, you will first need to take a a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300.
- Don’t attempt to flash the files you find here on any other Android smartphones or devices.
- In the tutorial you’ll find the ‘factory reset’ step, which is what you need to do in order to get a clean installation of OmniROM Android 4.3 for your Galaxy S3.
- Factory Reset deletes contents from your phone’s system partition, while the internal and external storage will not be affected by this installation.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup of your current ROM, so that you’ll have a restore point in case something goes wrong in the process.
- If you want to backup data from installed apps then you can use one of these two apps: Helium (here) or Titanium Backup (here).
- SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings can be backed up using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be needed for some of these apps.
- People details and Contacts info can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- if you don’t know how to do that, then you can find more info in this post here.
- Enable USB Debugging for your device from the Developer Options menu.
- This is a guide for advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Read this entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps in the process.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left in it before starting the installation. This will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- If the phone powers off while you’re installing the new ROM, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- For any questions regarding the installation of OmniROM or for any extra help, use the comments field at the end of the post.
How to flash OmniROM based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean AOSP for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the OmniROM Experimental build from here.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer, then copy both zip files on your device’s internal storage.
- disconnect the device from PC when both files are copied.
- do not unzip the files.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot the Galaxy S3 in custom Recovery Mode.
- both the CWM and TWRP Recoveries are working with this post.
- if you don’t know how to boot custom Recovery mode, then you will find the info listed here very helpful.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for your current ROM.
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, save the file on your internal storage and then confirm the process.
- TWRP: press Backup, rename the file and swipe to confirm backup.
- Now you need to apply a Factory Reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe to confirm Factory Reset.
- Next, flash the custom ROM file:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the OmniROM zip and confirm the installation.
- TWRP: press Install, find the custom ROM file. Confirm the process.
> don’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- After the new ROM is installed you need to repeat the step 8 and flash the Gapps zip files.
- When you manage to install both files, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process takes a while before it loads all the required files.
- Enter your Google Account details when the new OmniROM home screen appears.
- Take control over your device by entering your Google Account details.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your Samsung Galaxy S3 to OmniROM Android 4.3 build.
In case the new ROM doesn’t boot correctly, the device enters into a boot loop or OmniROM displays way too many errors, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that the “Factory Reset” step is applied.
If you don’t like the new ROM, then you can always choose to restore your device to its previous state using the backup file created in step 5. Use the same custom Recovery screen in case you wish to restore the Galaxy S3 to its former custom ROM.