‘Jiangyi’ has released a full and working build of OmniROM KitKat for Galaxy S2 I9100G. Use this post if you want to successfully update your device to Google’s latest operating system version using a custom ROM. Note that this is a guide for advanced users.
This custom ROM is based on AOSP Android 4.4 and it is called OmniROM. It is a new custom ROM project created by XplodWild, Chainfire and other XDA members. If you want to learn more about Omni and its Jelly Bean / KitKat builds, then you can visit its web site here. OmniROM Experimental build is continuously supported by its developer, so you should follow the XDA thread link listed at the end of this post and, thank him for his hard work on releasing a working build for your Galaxy S2 I9100G.
You might find some bugs with the phone’s graphics, but those are to be expected with PowerVR devices. If you find any other bugs, then you’re free to post them in the custom ROM’s XDA thread.
If you want to successfully update your phone with OmniROM KitKat 4.4, then you should take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G. This is the TI OMAP variant.
- don’t use this guide for the Galaxy S2 I9100, as you will brick it.
- if you own an I9100 model, then you should use instead the tutorial here.
- The phone that you’re about to update has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- TWRP Recovery might not work with this custom ROM, which is why it is recommended for you to use CWM instead.
- Factory Reset is required for the new ROM to boot normally.
- the factory reset removes data only from system partition, while the internal / external storage won’t be affected by it.
- don’t skip ‘factory reset’.
- Backup data from installed apps using Helium app here.
- Backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following utilities: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync data such as Contacts details and People info with your Gmail account.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then you can find more help here.
- Create a full NANDROID backup for the ROM that is now installed on your Galaxy S2 I9100G.
- this step can be found in the tutorial.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left before starting the tutorial.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and note that we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone or lose any data in the process.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you should ask for more help in comments.
OmniROM KitKat alpha build doesn’t contain root, which means that you will have to flash SuperSU after the ROM and Gapps are installed. That will re-apply root for your device. Don’t worry, as the step can be found in the how-to part.
How to flash Experimental OmniROM Android 4.4 custom build for Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the custom ROM zip here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- it contains Google Experience Launcher.
- Download SuperSU from here.
- this is the file you have to flash to apply root.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer.
- Move all three zip files on your Galaxy S2 internal storage.
- Disconnect the device from computer when the files are copied successfully.
- Power off the Galaxy S2 now and then boot it in custom Recovery Mode.
- boot custom Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power.
- release the buttons only when the custom Recovery screen appears.
- First, use custom Recovery to create the NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’ option, name the file and save it on your device’s internal storage.
- Next, apply factory reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm.
- Now you can flash the new custom ROM file:
- select ‘install zip from sd card’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Unofficial OmniROM zip and confirm the installation.
- After the ROM is installed, repeat step 10 and then flash Gapps zip too.
- When both OmniROM and Gapps are installed you will need to flash the SuperSU. Do it like you did with the previous zip files.
- After all zips are flashed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Now you can reboot your device in normal mode.
- the first boot process of a newly installed custom ROM takes several minutes to complete, don’t press any buttons until the home screen appears.
- Enter your Google Account info when the custom ROM home screen appears. Take control over your smartphone and then start testing all of its new features and improvements.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of Unofficial OmniROM Android 4.4 for your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G.
NOTE: In case the first boot process of this new custom ROM takes more than ten minutes to load all files, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Remove the phone’s battery, then re-insert it back into its place and repeat the installation. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps. Remember to apply ‘factory reset’, as it only deletes the data from system partition and not the internal storage. Ask for more help in comments in case you cannot complete the guide.
If you find errors or bugs while testing this OmniROM Android 4.4 custom build, then you can report all the glitches you find at the ROM’s XDA thread here.
This custom build of unofficial OmniROM KitKat doesn’t feature root, and this means that you will have to flash the SuperSU file. It can be found in the tutorial. Test Root access using the Root Checker tool from Google Play Store here.
In case you don’t like this new ROM, then you can always use the NANDROID Backup file created in step 8. Use the same custom Recovery and restore your device to its previous state.