Install Illusion Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM for Google Nexus 4
The Illusion custom ROM is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and it is one of the smoothest custom operating systems that I have tested on my Nexus 4. Use this tutorial if you wish to install this new ROM on your device and then tell us in comments if you like it. Note that this is a guide that should be used by advanced users.
Illusion ROMs are designed by an XDA Member and Developer, $droyd$. The main features of this new Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM are these: it allows you to change LCD Density Settings, set per-app dpi settings, stock UI, PhabletUI, TabletUI, per-app permissions manager, dual pane view, low battery warning, cLock, custom hardware keys, Widgets viewpaper, notification drawer options, power sound on plug-in / plug-out, PIE controls, Navbar customizations, power widget settings, Custom QuickSettings, Power Menu controls, Custom Statusbar options, custom sounds settings, custom phone settings, custom MMS settings, Integrated superuser, Trebuchet launcher, 3.4.x kernel base and multiple others.
Check this YouTube video for a better understanding on how Illusion custom ROMs works.
This custom ROM allows you to change almost any part of your device and it is very stable. In order to learn how to successfully flash it at your first attempt, you will first need to take a look at the guidelines below:
- use this guide only with the Google Nexus 4 smartphone.
- don’t try to update any other device using the instructions listed in this post.
- your device has to be on an unlocked bootloader, rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as TWRP.
- you can use the CWM Recovery, too, but I recommend using TWRP Recovery.
- this tutorial uses the TWRP Recovery to install, but you can complete the installation with the CWM one just as well.
- use the custom Recovery Mode before starting the installation in order to create a full NANDROID backup of your current OS. This will set a restore point for your device and you can use it in case something goes wrong and you cannot boot it into normal mode after the update.
- this guide contains a step that will tell you to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, don’t skip it. All the installed apps and other data stored on the system partition will be wiped in the process.
- the internal SD card storage won’t be affected by this installation.
- if you plan on backing up installed app data, then you should browse the Google Play Store in order to find a tool that is capable of saving and restoring applications data.
- to backup SMS, APN Internet settings or Call Logs info, use the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- sync the Contacts data with your Gmail account. This process will save every single saved phone number and contact info that you have stored on your phone.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left in it before starting the update.
- this is a tutorial for advanced users, so you shouldn’t blame us in case you brick the device or you lose any important data files.
- in case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Illusion ROMs Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom OS for Google Nexus 4:
- Download the Illusion ROM zip file from HERE.
> save the file on your PC and don’t unzip its contents.
- Download SlimROMs gapps file from HERE.
> this is an all-in-one google apps installed with Aroma, which means that you will be guide through the process.
- Connect your Nexus 4 with your computer.
- Now move both zip files onto your device’s internal SDcard. When the files are copied with success, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your smartphone now completely.
- Boot the device into Bootloader mode by pressing and holding at the same time Volume Up, Volume Down and Power.
> when in Bootloader menu, press volume Up once.
- Press Power to confirm that you wish to load the Recovery Mode and wait for your device to boot TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Next, select ‘backup’ option and create a SYSTEM nandroid backup. Get to the next step after that.
- Now, select ‘wipe’ and then ‘factory reset’. Confirm. Don’t skip this step.
- Select ‘install’ and then browse your device for the Illusion ROM zip file. Confirm that you wish to install it.
- When the ROM is installed, select again ‘Install’ and then browse the phone contents for the Gapps zip. Confirm the installation.
- Return to the main TWRP Recovery menu and Reboot your phone.
- Wait several minutes for the device to boot into normal mode.
- Enter your Google Account details when the Illusion Jelly Bean 4.3 home screen loads.
- Test all of its features and that should be all, you’ve managed to flash a custom ROM on your Nexus 4.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your device. In case you’re having problems with this installation, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
If you don’t like how this new custom ROM works with your Nexus 4, then you can easily restore the Nandroid backup of your previously installed ROM using the TWRP / CWM Recovery Mode.
Also, keep an eye on our web site as the official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Update has been announced for Nexus 4 and soon we will post a guide that teaches you how to upgrade your device.