Samsung just rolled out a new Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OTA update for the Galaxy S4 I9505; the firmware is currently available in Germany but you can choose to manually apply the software anytime you want. This guide will describe the manual installation procedure of the latest JB 4.2.2 XXUBMGC OS that can be used for the SGS4 model number I9505, so if your handset is rooted or if you haven’t received the notifications yet, try to use the guidelines from below for applying the official OTA update on your phone.
The JB 4.2.2 XXUBMGC firmware represents the latest official Android update rolled out by Samsung for its Galaxy S4 smartphone. Anyway, don’t expect to see major improvements added on the platform as the software comes only to resolve the bugs and issues related to the battery drain problem along with the camera and memory consumption issue. So, there won’t be any new feature installed on the XXUBMGC OS, though your Galaxy S4 will be running on a more stable and smooth Jelly Bean system.
If you want to enjoy the same you need to know that Samsung released the OTA update in Germany, so the XXUBMGC notification is available only for the Galaxy S4 I9505 from the same country. Now, if you want to manually flash the Android 4.2.2 software on your phone, then you need to follow the present step by step guide. The installation process is not hard to complete as Odin will be used. As you know when talking about stock updates and Samsung devices, Odin is what we recommend.
For those who don’t know, Odin is a complex and custom tool that has been developed by Samsung. The app can be used for updating and rooting operations; the best is that when using Odin for flashing an official update, root access and CWM recovery isn’t required. So, you will be able to manually update your galaxy S4 to stock Android OS without losing the warranty or without unlocking your device. Don’t worry though as Odin can be used for both rooted and locked smartphones, while if you handset is currently rooted, after applying the JB 4.2.2 XXUBMGC OS, the root access will be revoked.
Even though an official variant of Android will be added on your S4, a backup is still being highly recommended. You are still using a manual method which means that things might went wrong – in term of losing your personal info, accounts and data that is saved on the internal storage memory. So, before starting the update guide, use backup and restore apps from Google Play and save everything that’s important for you.
Odin can be used only on a Windows based computer, which means that the same is being required for this operation. The JB 4.2.2 XXUBMGC firmware can be installed only on the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505 so don’t try to use this guide in case you have a different version of the smartphone or a different Android based device – you can brick your handset. On your phone the USB debugging option must be checked (you can enable it by going to path: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”) and the battery life should display more than 60% power left (if not or if less charge your handset before going any further). On the computer there shouldn’t be any security tools installed, which means that you need to deactivate the security or antivirus protection – else, the mentioned tools might interfere or even interrupt the update operation and we don’t want that to happen.
Well done; you have completed the pre requisites so now your SGS4 is being prepared for the manual installation procedure of stock Android 4.2.2 software.
How to Install latest JB 4.2.2 XXUBMGC OTA Firmware on Galaxy S4 I9505 (Manual method)
- On your computer the S4 drivers must be flashed – you can get the drivers through Samsung KIES.
- Also, on the computer the firmware file must be downloaded and unzipped.
- Get the update from our source page (here) and unzip the package on desktop.
- Finally, download Odin; unzip and install the program and in the end on the computer launch the app.
- Turn off your SGS4.
- Then, press and home, power and volume down for reaching download mode.
- With the phone booted in download mode and with Odin opened on the computer, connect both devices via USB cable.
- Now Odin should recognize the connection: the “added” message must be displayed and the ID:COM should be either yellow or blue.
- If different, you will have to reinstall the drivers on the computer, change the USB port and repeat the steps from above until everything is working as described.
- Then, from Odin select the “PDA” option.
- Up next, pick the firmware file from desktop.
- On Odin the re-partition and f. reset time sections should be unchecked.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin.
- Click on “start”.
- Wait until the “pass” message will be displayed on Odin. Then, the ID:COM section should be green.
- You can unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone as you are done.
In rare cases after flashing the software, your Galaxy S4 might get stuck in a boot loop (do note that if the first boot takes longer than usual there is nothing wrong with your device); in that case you will have to boot into recovery mode (the recovery mode can be reached by pressing on power, volume up and home buttons simultaneously) from where you need to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition. On the other hand if you experience problems with Odin, just close the tool, unplug the USB cord, force restart your phone and repeat the update process.
Congratulations; now you know how to manually update your Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505 to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMGC firmware. That was the how to process, so you are done. Stay close for further step by step guides and Android related tips and tricks.