Install JellyBeer Android 4.2.2 Custom ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
The JellyBeer ROM is another ROM based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. You can use this tutorial and learn how to successfully flash it on the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone. Read all the instructions that I have listed below and you should be able to complete the update in under 10 minutes.
The Galaxy Nexus packs a 4.65-inch display with Super AMOLED technology and is underpinned by a TI OMAP 4460 chipset with two Cortex A9 cores clocked at 1.2 GHz and PowerVR SGX540 GPU. It also comes with 1 GB of RAM, 32 GB of storage, and a 5 megapixel camera mounted on the back with support for full HD video recording.
In terms of connectivity the Galaxy Nexus comes with 4G LTE, HSPA+, all standards of WiFi, Bluetooth 3.0, NFC chip, and microUSB 2.0.
JellyBeer custom ROM is based on AOSP Jelly Bean, ParanoidAndroid and CyanogenMod 10.1. Other features of this new ROM are as following: 3 different UI modes, ParanoidAndroid’s hybrid engine, system DPI customization support, change navbar height, per app layout, clock mods, circle battery tweaks, wake up when device is plugged or no, CRT on/off animations, notification enhancements and multiple others.
In order to make sure that you successfully flash this custom ROM on your phone, you will first have to read the guidelines below:
- use this tutorial only with the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone.
- your phone has to be on an unlocked bootloader, it has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP. We’ve used the CWM Recovery for this guide, but you can still use the TWRP one as the instructions are very similar to it.
- use the custom Recovery mode and create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will set a restore point for your device and you can use this type of file in case the new ROM doesn’t boot into normal mode.
- create backups of all your important data files before starting the installation of this new ROM.
- If you want to create SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings using these applications: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Gmail account with your Contacts data.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users. Don’t try to use this tutorial in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Don’t skip any steps that I have listed below as that will result with a failed attempt.
- In case you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
These were all the steps you had to take in order to correctly prepare your smartphone for the updating process.
This JellyBeer custom build of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean is easy to install, it has reached its 4 version and you should test it intensively before deciding whether you want to use it as a daily OS.
Make sure that you don’t skip past any of the steps listed below. Remember that it would be best for you to create a complete backup of your current OS using the custom Recovery mode. The instructions for this action are listed in the tutorial guide.
How to install JellyBeer Android 4.2.2 custom ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- Download the JellyBeer custom ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE. Save it on your computer without unzipping the file.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC. Copy both these downloaded files onto your smartphone’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from your computer when both files have been successfully copied.
- Power off your Verizon Galaxy Nexus now.
- Boot your phone into Fastboot mode now. Do it by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously. Release the buttons when the Fastboot selection mode appears.
- Select RECOVERY option and press Power to boot into custom Recovery mode. NOTE: we had the CWM Recovery installed on our device, but you can use TWRP, also. The instructions are very similar.
- Now, when the phone shows the main menu of Recovery mode, select ‘backup and restore’ option. Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM before installing the new OS.
- Return to the main Recovery menu and select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. This step will delete the contents of the /system partition. Confirm. NOTE: The internal sd card contents will be left unchanged.
- Select ‘install zip from SDcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the JellyBeer custom ROM file and confirm that you want to install it.
- Select ‘choose zip from SDcard’ once again. Now, find the Gapps file and install it.
- After that, return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the first boot process of this new ROM to complete.
- Note that the first boot of JellyBeer Android 4.2.2 ROM might take at least 5-7 minutes to complete loading all the new files and apps.
- Enter your Google Account credentials when you’re done testing the new OS.
- Customize its interface and that should be it.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash a brand new custom ROM for your device. In case you didn’t manage to successfully flash this new ROM, then you have to power off the device completely. After that, you should repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 5. Custom ROMs are usually acting up when it comes to flashing them on smartphones.
Test all its new features and then tell us in comments if you found any errors while testing it.
Make sure to restore all the data you backed up prior to installing JellyBeer ROM. Also, remember to enter the same Google Account you used previously, sync the Contacts data and that should be all.
In case you don’t like the JellyBeer Android 4.2.2 custom ROM or you’re noticing that your Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus is acting up, then you should use the CWM Recovery mode and restore the NANDROID backup of your previously installed ROM.