This is one of the first Android 4.4 custom ROMs that are available for the Verizon Galaxy S3. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your device with the KitKang custom ROM. The entire guide can be applied in under five minutes, but you have to make sure that you know what you’re doing and that this new build is an experimental one.
KitKang Android 4.4 custom ROM is not a final build, but one created from CyanogenMod 11 source and KitKat AOSP. Note that you might find errors and bugs such as the one that makes your device reboot when launching the front camera. There are no other major bugs found in this build and, you can learn more about it by visiting the XDA thread here.
Before starting the installation you will have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with Verizon variant of Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I535.
– do not attempt to update any other devices using the files you find in this post.
- Your smartphone should be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP.
– make sure that the latest versions of CWM / TWRP are installed on your device.
– both CWM and TWRP are supported by this tutorial.
- For this new ROM to install correctly, you will have to apply a Factory Reset.
– this means that the system partition will be wiped in the process.
– internal / external storage won’t be affected by this tutorial.
- Backup data from installed apps using the Helium tool from Google Play Store here.
- Backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Grant root access for these apps in case they require it.
- Make sure to sync your People details and Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you should take a look at this guide here.
- Check the phone’s battery power and make sure that it is over 50%. In case the VZW Galaxy S3 switches off in the middle of the updating process, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and note that we cannot we blamed in case you brick your device.
- If you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash KitKang Android 4.4 custom ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download the KitKang custom ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for this particular custom ROM from here.
- Connect your device with your PC, then move both zip files on your phone’s internal storage.
– disconnect your phone from computer when the files are transferred.
- Power off your Verizon Galaxy S3 now.
- Boot your phone in custom Recovery Mode now.
– it can be done by pressing at the same time Volume Up, Home and Power.
– let go of all buttons when the CWM/ TWRP Recovery appears.
- Create the NANDROID Backup for your current ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then save the restore point on your internal storage.
– TWRP: press Backup, rename the file and confirm.
- Next, apply the factory reset for your phone:
– CWM: select wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe to confirm factory reset.
> do not skip this step as otherwise the phone will not boot in normal mode with KitKang ROM.
- Now that you’ve reached this step you can finally flash the new Android 4.4 custom ROM on your Verizon Galaxy S3:
– CWM: Select ‘install zip from sdcard’> ‘choose zip from sdcard’ options. Find the ROM zip file and confirm the installation.
– TWRP: press Install, browse the internal storage for the KitKang ROM file. Confirm the process by swiping the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
- Now that the ROM has been flashed with success you have to repeat step 8 actions and flash the Gapps zip.
- When both zips are installed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
– the first boot process of KitKang Android 4.4 ROM takes several minutes to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until all files are loaded.
- Enter the same Google Account details you used previously.
- Now that the device has booted in normal mode, start testing all of its new features and elements.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the installation of KitKang Android 4.4 CM11 custom ROM for your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.
If the installation doesn’t complete at your first attempt, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that in case you do repeat the guide, then you won’t skip any steps. Also, if you don’t like the KitKang custom ROM you are free to restore your device to its previous state using the file created in step 6.