The Sony Xperia Z smartphone has received a leaked updating file that allows its owners to update it to Android 4.4 KitKat firmware version 10.5.A.0.227. The availability of this release means that there might be an official update coming in the next few months for this device.
Until the official update is launched you should use our guide below and learn how to flash the leaked version of Android 4.4.2 KitKat for your Xperia Z smartphone.
This is a guide that you can use to learn how to update the phone, but you need to know that for it to work you need to have an unlocked bootloader. The firmware was first spotted at XDA Developers website as DooMLoRD is the one who managed to get his hands on it and then releasing it for every Xperia Z user to experience the latest KitKat OS.
More info about the update is listed in our news article.
Before starting the update you should read the guidelines below:
- use this guide only with the Sony Xperia Z smartphone.
– don’t try to update any other smartphones with the files that you find in this post.
- make sure that your phone is on an unlocked bootloader.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if Developer Options doesn’t show in Settings menu, then you will be forced to enable it: go to ‘About device’ menu and tap seven times on ‘build number’.
– after you enable Developer Options you should open the menu and check the box listed next to USB Debugging.
- go to Settings/ Xperia/ Connectivity/ USB Connection Mode: select MSC Mode and not MTP mode.
- learn how to boot the phone in Recovery Mode prior to starting installation.
– use this info here if you don’t know how to do it, the guide is for Xperia Z1 but it will work with Xperia Z, too.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the device won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- backup data from installed apps using Helium for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- read the entire post and you should be able to complete the guide without problems.
- don’t skip any steps and use the guide only if you’re an advanced user.
- note that we cannot be held responsible in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over before continuing to the next part of this post.
How to flash leaked Android 4.4.2 10.5.A.0.227 firmware update for Sony Xperia Z:
- Download the leaked firmware file from here.
- After the download is complete you should use the USB data cable and connect the phone to your PC. Move the downloaded file to your smartphone.
- Disconnect the phone from PC when the file is copied.
- Power off the Xperia Z and then boot it in Recovery Mode.
- First thing that you need to do is to apply a Factory Reset:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm process.
– select ‘wipe cache partition’ now and confirm.
- Now you have to flash the Android 4.4 10.5.A.0.227 zip. Select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Find the firmware zip file and confirm installation.
- After the installation is complete you should return to the main Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode.
After the Sony Xperia Z loads the new Android 4.4 KitKat home screen you simply need to enter your Google Account info and log into it.
Check the firmware version in ‘About phone’ to confirm that Android 4.4.2 KitKat has been installed on your Xperia Z smartphone.
If the tutorial fails at the first attempt, then you should try to repeat the entire guide once more.
In case you need any extra help you should use the comments field below.