Install LiquidSmooth Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
LiquidSmooth is another custom ROM that’s based on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. You can learn how to install it on your Galaxy S3 by reading all the instructions that are listed in this post.
The LiquidSmooth ROM is a custom release based on AOSP Android 4.2 and it borrows some features from AOKP, CM and other not-so popular custom ROMs. It is a smooth ROM, it brings the Chronus cLock widget, support for customizing the software and hardware buttons, customizable navbar ring, navigation bar widgets, notification power widget, status bar mods, theme engine, quiet hours mode, volume rocker music controls and multiple others. More info about this custom ROM can be found here in its dedicated XDA forum thread.
In order to be sure that you correctly install this new LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean 4.2 custom ROM build on your Galaxy S3, then you should follow the preparation guide below:
- Use the tutorial only for the I9300 variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3. Don’t try to flash this Android 4.2 ROM on the I9305 model (use this guide here for I9305 custom Jelly Bean OS).
- A video on how this ROM works can be found here.
- Your I9300 SGS3 has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP. We’ve used ClockworkMod Recovery for this post.
- Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM using the Recovery Mode. It will set a restore point for your smartphone and you can use it in case you don’t like this new OS.
- The ‘how-to’ guide contains a step that asks you to factory reset your device. The contents of the /system partition will be removed and you will lose installed apps, SMS and Call Logs. You can choose to backup some of this data using these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Grant them root access when asked.
- Remember to sync your Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Make sure that the Galaxy S3 battery has enough power left in it so that it won’t power OFF while you’re installing the new ROM.
- Use the tutorial only if you’re an advanced Android user.
- Don’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you cannot complete the installation of this new ROM. We cannot be blamed if you brick the phone or you lose your important data files.
- Read the entire guide and don’t skip any steps.
Since you’ve read all of the above, you can continue to the how-to part of this tutorial. If you cannot complete the install, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to install LiquidSmooth Android 4.2 Jelly Bean ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the LiquidSmooth custom ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC or download it directly to your smartphone’s internal SD card. Don’t unzip its contents.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from HERE. Don’t extract the file.
- Connect your device to your PC and move both ROM and Gapps files on to its internal SDcard. If you already downloaded these files to your PC then you can skip this step.
- Power off your smartphone and make sure that it isn’t connected to your computer.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power. Release the buttons when the screen lights up, then you will have to press once again Volume Up button to confirm that you wish to load the CWM Recovery mode.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option from the custom Recovery main menu. Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM.
- Next, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this step and continue to the next step only after you apply it.
- Select ‘install zip from Sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean ROM file and confirm that you want to install it. When the ROM is installed you can continue with the rest of the process.
- Return to the main menu of the Recovery mode and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ again. This time you will have to flash the Gapps file.
- After both files have been installed, return to the main menu of the CWM Recovery mode. Select ‘reboot system now’ option.
- The LiquidSmooth first boot process starts now and you need to wait at least 5 minutes for it to load all the required files.
- Enter your Google account when the home screen appears.
That’s it, you’ve managed to install the new Android 4.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM called LiquidSmooth. In case the ROM doesn’t install at your first attempt, then you might want to retry to apply all the instructions once again.
If you don’t like this new LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean OS then you can easily restore your device to its previous ROM using the NANDROID backup file created in step 5.
If you had any problems with the installation, then you should ask for extra help in comments.