The LiquidSmooth custom ROM is one of the most popular OS releases for the Samsung Galaxy Note I717 which is the AT&T variant. Read the entire post and you will learn how to successfully install this new Android 4.1.2 ROM on your phone. Don’t skip any of the instructions that I have listed in this guide and make sure to ask for more help in comments.
This is a custom ROM that has been bundled together by ‘tspderek’ from XDA. It is based on Android 4.1.2 AOSP source code and it borrows features from AOKP, CM 10 and from CodenameAndroid. There aren’t any major bugs with this ROM. It should work great and you should be able to flash it in under 10 minutes. In order to correctly install this LiquidSmooth Android 4.1.2 custom ROM on your AT&T Galaxy NOTE I717, read the guidelines below and make sure that you’re device is ready. Here’s what you need to know:
- This is a tutorial that works only for the AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note with the model number SGH I717. Do not attempt to flash this version of LiquidSmooth JB ROM on any other Android device.
- Your phone should be rooted and running the CWM Recovery. Also, before getting to the tutorial, boot your device into CWM Recovery mode and create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM.
- Move all your important data on to your phone’s internal SD card. The tutorial will delete all contents from the /system partition. That’s why you have to create a SMS backup, save Call logs and the APN Internet Settings or, even create a list of installed applications. Use these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Some of these tools will ask for root access.
- Remember to sync the Contacts / People app with your Gmail account so that you will be able to restore all the phone numbers after the new ROM is installed.
- Charge the phone’s battery until it reaches at least 50% in power level. This will prevent the device from powering off during the installation of LiquidSmooth ROM.
- We cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong during the new ROM install process. You’re flashing a custom ROM at your own risk, and that is why you should always install such files only if you have already made a backup of the current ROM. In case something goes wrong you can use the ROM backup and restore the device to a working state in case the Galaxy Note I717 fails to boot.
- Read all the info I’ve listed in the tutorial and proceed to the installation process only when you think that you can complete it with success.
These were all the instructions that you had to read before getting to the ‘how-to’ guide. Use the comments section to ask for extra help in case you’re stumbling upon any roadblocks.
How to update AT&T Galaxy Note I717 with LiquidSmooth Android 4.1.2 custom ROM:
- Download the LiquidSmooth zip file from HERE. Save the file on your PC desktop screen without unzipping its contents.
- Connect the phone to your PC using the USB cable, and then move the custom ROM zip onto its internal SD card. Disconnect your device from PC when the file is moved.
- Power off your Galaxy Note completely.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing ‘volume up’ and ‘power’ buttons at the same time. When the screen powers on you have to release the ‘Power’ buttons while at the same time you have to keep holding ‘Volume up’ pressed until the CWM Recovery main menu loads.
- Use the ‘backup and restore’ option to create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM. When this is complete or in case you already have such backup file, then you can get directly to the next step.
- Select the option that says ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this process. NOTE: This will not delete the contents of the internal SD card, as it onyl wiped the /system partition which contains the applications, SMS and other similar data.
- Next, select ‘mounts and storage’ and then choose ‘format system’. Confirm.
- Now that you’ve wipe all that data, you need to select ‘install zip from sdcard’. From the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Find the ‘LiquidSmooth JB’ custom ROM zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the installation is complete you will have to return to the main ClockworkMod Recovery screen. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Your phone will now restart and its first boot process with this new ROM should complete in under 5 minutes.
- Enter the Google Account credentials and take control over your device once again.
- Test the new LiquidSmooth JB ROM and tell us which is its best new feature.
These were all the steps that I had for you. If you find any bugs with this release then you should leave a comment at the end of this post.
NOTE: If the first boot process with LiquidSmooth Android 4.1.2 custom ROM doesn’t complete after 15 minutes, then you will have to power off the device completely. After that you will need to boot into CWM Recovery again and then repeat the entire tutorial once again by making sure that you apply steps 6 and 7. Eventually you should be able to flash all the files in the tutorial once again and get the new ROM on your Galaxy Note I717.