The Mackay KitKat 4.4 custom ROM is a new build available for the Galaxy S I9000. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your smartphone with one of the latest KitKat builds without bricking the phone.
Mackay packs all the AOSP Android 4.4 features along with other elements borrowed from popular custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod 11. More info about it can be found at XDA here.
Read the guidelines below before starting the installation process:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S model number I9000.
- do not attempt to update any other Android devices with the files that you find in this post.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery.
- a ‘factory reset’ is required for your phone before installing the new ROM.
- don’t skip factory reset.
- note that it will remove all data from system partition, while the internal / external storage won’t be affected by factory reset.
- in the tutorial you’ll find the NANDROID ROM Backup step too, don’t skip it either.
- it will create a restore point for your phone and you can use it in case the new ROM doesn’t boot with the new ROM.
- backup data from installed apps using Helium tool — Google Play Store link here.
- backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- root access is needed for these apps.
- sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- guide here for those who don’t know how to do it.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left before it completely switches off.
- read the entire post and don’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial.
- note that this is a guide for advanced users and we won’t be held responsible in case you brick your smartphone.
- if you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update your smartphone with a brand new Android 4.4 custom ROM.
How to Flash Mackay Android 4.4 custom ROM for Galaxy S I9000:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4 ROMs from here
- Connect your smartphone with your computer, then move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
- after you transfer the files, disconnect the device from your computer.
- do not unzip the files.
- Power off your Galaxy S.
- Boot the phone in CWM Recovery Mode:
- do it by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power, all at the same time.
- release the buttons only when the CWM Recovery main menu appears.
- First, create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device:
- select ‘backup and restore’, save the file and continue to the next step when done.
- Now, apply the Factory Reset for your smartphone:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm the process.
> don’t skip this step.
- Next, flash the new Mackay KitKat custom ROM now:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’, find the custom ROM zip and confirm that you wish to install this custom ROM.
- After the ROM is flashed, repeat step 8 and then flash the Gapps zip.
- When all files are installed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now.
- note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while before it loads all the required files.
- Enter your Google info after the home screen of Mackay ROM appears.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation process.
If you have any other questions, use the comments field below.