Install MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1.2 custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250
The MIUI ROM has now reached the Android 4.1.2 JB build and, if you’re one that wants to get a better battery life from your device, then this MIUI build might be something that you’re after.
This build has been released by the ‘hoppermi’ and Miui.US on the XDA Developers forums. Most of its features have been ported from the AOSP Android 4.1 and it is a very stable release for your Galaxy Nexus device. This is a ROM for owners of the International variant of Nexus with the model number I9250 and it should be used only if you didn’t update it to the Android 4.2 JB.
In order to correctly install this new custom ROM you will have to read the preparation guide below. It contains all the extra info you need in order to successfully flash the MIUI JB ROM at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- Use this guide only for the Galaxy Nexus I9250. Do not try to install the ROM on any other variant of Nexus nor on I9250 models that are already running an Android 4.2 kernel / bootloader.
- Your phone should be on an unlocked bootloader, it should be rooted and running the CWM Recovery or TWRP Recovery.
- It would be best if you’d create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed OS. This will act as cover and restore point for your device in case something goes wrong and you cannot boot the phone normally after installation. Also, you can easily use the backup file to restore your device’s old ROM in case you don’t like the new MIUI JB build.
- Create backups of SMS, Call logs and APN Internet Settings using the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Some of these tools will ask for root access.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account.
- The Nexus I9250 battery power level charge should be over 50%. This will prevent the phone from powering off during the installation of MIUI ROM.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case you brick the device or you lose any important while installing the custom OS.
- Read all the instructions listed in this post and ask for more questions in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, move to the tutorial below and learn how to update your phone with the latest MIUI ROM build version.
How to update the Galaxy Nexus I9250 with the MIUI Android 4.1.2 JB custom ROM:
- Download the MIUI JB custom ROM HERE.
- Download the Gapps for this ROM from HERE. Don’ t unzip the files and save them on your PC desktop screen.
- Connect your phone to computer using the USB cable. Move the files downloaded at the steps above on its Internal SD card and then unplug the phone from PC.
- Power off your smartphone and boot it into Fastboot mode. It can be done by pressing these buttons at the same time: volume down, volume up and Power.
- Now, select the Recovery option from the Fastboot menu and then wait for the phone to boot into custom recovery mode.
- If you didn’t create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM, select the ‘backup and restore’ option and confirm the backup process. If you already have such backup file created, get to the next step.
- Select ‘Wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this process.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the MUUI 4.1.2 JB custom ROM zip and install it.
- When the ROM installs you will have to select again the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Now find the Gapps file and confirm that you want to install it. This will add all the Google applications that your phone needs in order for you to get the best Android experience.
- Return to the main CWM Recovery menu and then select ‘reboot system now’.
- Your Galaxy Nexus I9250 will now perform its first boot process with the new MIUI JB 4.1.2 ROM. This shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details when the phone displays its welcoming screen.
- That’s it, you’ve successfully installed the latest MIUI Jelly Bean build on your device. Test its features and tell us in comments if you find any problems while you’re tinkering with it.
Now you’re device should be updated. If you cannot complete the installation at your first attempt, try to repeat the entire tutorial once again as eventually you should be able to flash all the required files the second / third time.