ATA&T released today the official Android 4.1.2 OTA Update for their Galaxy S2 SkyRocket phone. The update came through KIES but, not all users received the official Update, which is why I’ve created this post. Use the article in order to manually flash the Jelly Bean UCMC1 4.1.2 Firmware update on your SkyRocket. Read the entire post and ask for more help in comments in case you cannot complete the update.
The Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S2 SkyRocket LTE brings the latest Nature UX which replaces the previous TouchWiz UI. You will get new locksreen customization settings, widgets, Smart Stay, Direct Call, better camera functions, S Cloud service by Samsung, ‘buttery smooth’ interface, Google Now, expandable notifications, better keyboard and tons of other new features. This is a major update since you’ll be moving on from Android 4.0.4 ICS and end up with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS. If you want to successfully flash this firmware update for your device, first you will need to read the guidelines below:
- Use this tutorial only with the AT&T variant of Samsung Galaxy S2, aka SkyRocket. The model number of this device is I727. Check the model number info by opening Settings, then About Phone menu.
- This update will install Stock Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and any root access will be revoked after the install is complete. We will try to post a ‘how-to root’ guide for this device over the next few days.
- Create backups of all the files you currently have stored on your smartphone. The tutorial might delete all the files during the updating process.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Developer Options menu. Note that after the update is complete, the Developer Options will be hidden and, in order restore them you will need to open Settings, then open About Phone and then tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
- Your computer needs the Samsung USB drivers installed, as otherwise ODIN (the application we’re going to use) will not recognize the SkyRocket device. You can use Samsung KIES to install all drivers.
- Disable Samsung KIES before starting the update. Also, disable all the security applications.
- Make sure that your device has enough battery power left before starting the update. This will prevent the smartphone from powering off during the updating process.
- It is a guide for advanced Android users. Don’t try to update your device in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- In case you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for more help in our comments field.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over before starting the firmware update.
How to update AT&T Galaxy S2 SkyRocket to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean UCMC1 firmware:
- Download the UCMC1 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware zip from HERE. Save the file to your PC.
- Extract the contents and you will get a file with the .tar.md5 extension.
- Download Odin 3.04 from HERE. Unzip the file and save the contents on your desktop screen.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Next, connect the USB cable to your PC but not yet to the phone. Press and hold at the same time Volume Down and Volume Up buttons, while doing this you need to plug the USB cable into the smartphone. When the Warning screen appears you have to press Volume Up and select Download Mode.
- Launch Odin exe. Odin should say ‘added!!’ and you can continue to the next step.
- Press the ‘PDA’ button and browse your device for the ‘KIES_HOME_I727UCMC1_I727ATTMC1_844945_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5’. Load it into ODIN. Don’t change any default settings and make sure that the ‘Re-Partition’ option is not enabled.
- Press ‘Start’ when you’re ready for the updating process. When the update is complete you will notice that the phone has restarted.
- Unplug the USB cable when you see the ‘Samsung logo’ and wait for the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 welcome screen to appear. ODIN should say ‘PASS’ and that should be all.
- Test the new OS and then tell us in comments which are its best features and functions.
NOTE: In case ODIN freezes or the FAIL alert appears, then you should disconnect the device from PC, close ODIN and remove the phone’s battery. Re-insert the battery after 5 seconds have passed and then you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again. The second time you try to update the phone, you should make sure that you apply all the steps that I have listed above.
NOTE 2: In case ODIN says ‘PASS’ but the phone doesn’t get past the Samsung boot logo, then you will be forced to wipe data and factory reset the device. Here’s how to do it:
- Power off your device by removing its battery. Re-insert the battery after 5 seconds have passed.
- Pres and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power. Release the buttons when the phone enters in Recovery mode.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm the process.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ when the Factory Reset is complete.
- Wait for the device to boot into normal mode.
If you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for more help in comments and I will try to offer you any viable solution.