Even if we are talking about the mini version of the Galaxy S4, everyone is still expecting the official release of Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. Unfortunately, Samsung isn’t agreeing with that, so the company just rolled out a Jelly Bean based OTA update for the Galaxy S4 Mini model number I9195. The firmware is dubbed as XXUBNB1 and represents only a minor OS improvement, which should be flashed if you want to receive the best Jelly Bean experience on your Galaxy S4 Mini. So, if you haven’t received the OTA yet, use this guide and learn how to manually install official XXUBNB1 Android 4.2.2 JB OS on your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195.
As mentioned, XXUBNB1 represents the latest official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean release that is available for the Mini model of the Samsung Galaxy S4. Hopefully, this is the final Jelly Bean roll out, as we are all expecting Android 4.4.2 KitKat instead. Anyway, XXUBNB1 comes with stability improvements and bugs fixes and with no new features, apps or capabilities. But, if you want to run on a software that is stable, without lags, issues or things that aren’t working properly, then XXUBNB1 Android 4.2.2 system is what you need to install on your SGS4 Mini.
The users who have already flashed XXUBNB1 on the Galaxy S4 Mini declared that the firmware is smoothly running and you can safely apply the same for daily use. Also, we all know that it is recommended to try the official releases as this is the only way in which you can receive the best Android experience on your smartphone and also this is how you can optimize the performances of your device in an official matter – instead you can choose to root and update with a custom ROM, but those are unofficial procedures that has nothing to do with Samsung or Google.
Since XXUBNB1 is an official update, you can install the same on both rooted and un-rooted Galaxy S4 Mini smartphones. The firmware will work on any device, even if now your phone is running on a custom ROM. Furthermore, by applying this tutorial, you will reinstall the default Android OS along with stock and default restrictions. Because of that, if you have rooted your smartphone, now the root access will be revoked, thus the warranty restored – the warranty usually gets void when gaining root access and when applying other custom and unofficial procedures.
As you can see you have numerous reasons for applying this manual update procedure. If you have decided to update your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to XXUBNB1 official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS by using this dedicated tutorial, you should first know that Odin will be used on the installation procedure. You have no reasons for being worried as Odin is an official program, developed and offered by Samsung and used on these types of operations – furthermore, the program is compatible only with Samsung branded devices.
But, since you are manually flashing a firmware, the best will be to backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your Galaxy S4 Mini. In rare cases, your data might get erased or corrupted, so for avoiding unpleasant situations I am recommending you to backup your data. Completing a backup operation is easy as there are numerous backup and restore apps free distributed on Google Play. So use these apps and save your contacts list, call logs, text messages, market apps, Internet settings, EFS folder and also your personal info, data and accounts.
In the end, just before heading to the proper guide, complete the pre requisites from below. There are being explained general pre requisites which are being required on almost all the update procedures that are using Odin.
- Of course a Windows based computer, your smartphone and its USB cable must be used, so ensure you have access to the same.
- A connection between these devices must be established. Therefore, on your S4 Mini enable USB debugging option – just go to “menu – settings – developer options”.
- On your computer, if there are installed security programs, the protection might interfere with the update operation, so temporarily disable the antivirus-like programs before going any further.
- If your device gets turned off in the middle of the flashing operation, it might also get bricked out. Because of that the best will be to check the battery status first: if there is less than 50% power left, before doing anything else plug in the charger.
- Of course this guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini model number I9195. Why? Mainly, because Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBNB1 firmware has been officially rolled out only for the mentioned device; so, flashing the software on a different or similar Android smartphone will make you brick your smartphone or tablet.
How to Install Official Android 4.2.2 XXUBNB1 JB on Galaxy S4 Mini I9195
- First, on your computer, download Odin.
- Then unzip the program on desktop; follow the on-screen prompts and install the tool.
- Then, from here download the firmware file and unzip the same on the same folder as Odin.
- Up next, on your computer install the Galaxy S4 Mini drivers; in that matter you can anytime use Samsung KIES.
- Good; after completing the steps from above, on your computer run Odin and then turn off your phone and enter download mode.
- For download mode you just have to press on power, volume down and home buttons at the same time.
- After that take the USB cable and by using the same connect your smartphone with your computer.
- Now, take a look on Odin as you should notice the “added” message and the ID:COM section which should be either yellow or blue.
- If not, remove the USB cable and close Odin. Reflash the drivers on your computer, reboot your phone download mode, open Odin and retry the steps from above.
- If everything is working as expected, from Odin click on “PA”.
- Pick the firmware file and click “ok”. Don’t change anything else on the program and in the end click on “start”.
- The update procedure will begin. Don’t press anything else while the installation procedure is running.
- You can unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone only when on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed and when the ID:COM section will turn green.
Perfect; you have successfully completed our dedicated step by step tutorial Therefore now you know how to manually install official XXUBNB1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS on your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. Hopefully, next time we will be checking on how to update your Android smartphone to Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware, so stay close as further tutorials are being developed for you and for your device.