AOKP Jelly Bean Build 5 is now available for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus smartphone and you can easily install it on your device with help from this guide. Make sure that you should read the entire post and only after you know for sure that you’ve met all requirements you should move to the tutorial.
This new update comes with several new functions and features and you will get the latest Android 4.1.2 firmware without the bloat files. Note that this is the first release of AOKP Jelly Bean that it is based on the 4.1.2 firmware. This means that you will get the best experience for your device. This update is a custom ROM and it can be ‘dirty flashed’ in case you don’t want to wipe the data, but for this to work your device should be running the AOKP JB Build 4 ROM.
In order to correctly flash this ROM read the preparation guide below and you’ll learn what you can do to backup all files so that you won’t lose any important data while clean installing the AOKP JB Build 5 on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone:
- Note that this guide is supported only by the Verizon variant of Galaxy Nexus with model number I515. Don’t try to flash the custom ROM on any other Android devices, as that will result in a failed attempt besides bricking the firmware.
- Your smartphone has to be rooted and running the CWM Recovery image. Also it should be on an unlocked bootloader. A guide that teaches you how to do all can be found here. If your device already meets these requirements then you can skip this step.
- Move all your important files on the internal SD card of your phone. In case you want to backup a list of installed applications or the SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings, use the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that some of these apps need to have root access.
- Also, sync your Contacts with your Gmail account.
- It is recommended for you to create a NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM. It can be done by using the ROM Manager, ROM Toolbox or any other similar tool. Alternatively, you can create one using the custom recovery mode of your phone.
- We can’t be blamed in case your device gets bricked in the process. Note that you have to read the entire post and only after that you need to start flashing the custom ROM files.
- Enable the USB debugging option for your device so that your phone gets recognized by the PC when you try to move your important files to your PC. If you don’t plan on doing that, then skip this.
- Charge your device’s battery until it says that there is more than 50% power left. This will prevent it from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- Apply all steps listed in the tutorial. In case you cannot finish the installation then you should ask for more help by leaving a comment at the end of this post.
That’s all you had to read before getting to the tutorial. Note that all steps can be applied in under 5 minutes but you should be careful while doing that as you don’t want to brick the device by skipping any instructions.
How to update Verizon Galaxy Nexus with AOKP JB Build 5:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Save it on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean from HERE. Proceed just like you did at step 1.
- Connect your device to your PC and then move these files on your phone’s internal SD card. After that you need to disconnect the smartphone from PC. Also, power off the device.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode by pressing at the same time the following buttons: ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘power’. Release the buttons after the screen flashes.
- Now, this is a step that is required if you want to ‘clean install’ this new ROM. In case your phone is already running the AOKP JB Build 4, then you can skip this step and move to the next step. Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ‘AOKP JB Build 5 ROM’ zip file and install it.
- Select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option after the ROM installs successfully. Find the ‘Gapps’ zip and confirm its installation.
- Return to the main CWM Recovery screen and select ‘reboot system now’ after both files are installed successfully.
- Your phone will now restart and the first boot process with AOKP Build 5 JB is loading. This shouldn’t take more than 4-5 minutes. After that you will be taken to the main AOKP / Jelly Bean 4.1.2 home screen. Enter your Google account details and take control over your phone.
- That is it, you’ve installed the latest AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROM.
Please note that in case the first boot process takes more than 15 minutes or the devices gets into a boot loop, then it means that the update was not applied successfully and you should repeat the tutorial once again. Remove the battery, re-insert it and then repeat the ‘how-to’ guide starting with step 4 and, this time you should make sure to apply step 5 and wipe data/ factory reset the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. That will deleted all data from your phone’s system partition.
These were all the instructions that I had for you and now you should begin to test this new ROM. In case you have any other questions, please post them in our comments field.