T-Mobile Galaxy S3 T999 can be updated to the latest AOKP JB official build which now has reached build 5. It is based on the latest Android 4.1.2 AOSP firmware and you will learn how to flash this file by reading the entire article. Note that this is a guide for advanced users but, if you carefully read all instructions you should manage to install the build 5 AOKP custom ROM even if you’re a novice.
It brings several new functions and features to improve the Android 4.1.2 ROM. It is based on the latest Android version and bugs/ errors found in previous editions were fixed. If you want to flash this update, you will first have to read the preparation guide and learn how to successfully install all files at your first attempt. Make sure to read the entire post and only when you’re sure that you won’t damage your device, you should move to the preparation guide.
Here’s what preparation steps and extra info you have to learn before installing this new AOKP JB Build 5 ROM:
- Install the files only on the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 T999 and not on other galaxy S3 versions. Check your phone’s model number by opening the About Device menu and if the model number is T999 then you can continue reading this post.
- The smartphone has to be rooted and running CWM Recovery. Without these installed you will not be able to flash all files and the update cannot be applied. Since you’ve found this post, it means that your device should already meet these requirements.
- Create a full NANDROID backup of currently installed ROM. You will find this file useful in case the new ROM doesn’t install correctly.
- Also, you can backup apps, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Some of these will ask for root access.
- Sync your Gmail account with your Contacts app. You won’t lose your saved phone numbers by doing this but you still need to enter the same Google account after installing the new AOKP JB build 5.
- Enable USB debugging option.
- Charge your phone’s battery so that it won’t power off while you’re flashing the custom ROM files.
- Note that we cannot be blamed if something goes wrong as you’re installing these files at your own risk. That is why you should be an advanced Android user and not a novice. Make sure that you have a backup of the currently installed ROM. I’ve already told you that several line above.
- Apply all the steps that I have listed in this post and in case you’re unsure of the actions you have to take, then you should ask for more help by posting in our comments field.
I think that these are all the steps that you had to take before moving to the tutorial guide. Note that you should only apply the instructions I’ve listed below. Also, leave a detailed comment in case you cannot complete the installation and we will try to help you.
How to flash AOKP JB Build 5 on T-Mobile Galaxy S3:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Save the file on PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download Gapps for Jelly Bean HERE. Get the latest version for Android 4.1 and not other file. Save it on desktop and then move to the next without extracting the zip files.
- Connect your T-Mobile SGS3 to your computer. Transfer the files downloaded at the steps above on the phone’s internal SDcard. When the files are successfully move you can disconnect the devices.
- Power off your phone and after that boot it into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing at the same time three buttons: volume up, home and power. Release these buttons when the screen flashes.
- Select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this step. It will remove the contents of the /system partition and not the internal SD card storage. NOTE: if you’re device is on AOKP JB build 3 or 4, then you can skip this action.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ option after the factory reset step is complete. From the next screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then you have to find the AOKP JB Build 5 zip. Confirm that you want to install it.
- Now you have to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and install the Gapps zip. When this one is installed you can return to the main ClockworkMod recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’. The device will now restart.
- First boot process with AOKP JB build 5 is underway and it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
- After all files are loaded successfully, your phone will show the homescreen and you simply have to re-enter the same Google Account you’ve used with the previous ROM; in this way you’ll take control over all your phone’s functions.
NOTE: In case the first boot process takes too long to load or the smartphone gets into a boot loop, it means that the custom ROM wasn’t installed correctly and you have to power off the phone. Remove its battery, re-insert its battery and after that you have to repeat the entire tutorial once again in order to flash all files. Also, note that this time you really need to apply step 5 and wipe the data.
These were all the steps that you had to take. In case you’re having other problems, use the comments section and tell us exactly which steps you took and what firmware you’re running on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3.