The brand new and also, the first Milestone build of AOKP JB for Samsung Vibrant has been released and it brings the latest Android 4.1.2 custom ROM firmware. Use this guide to learn how to update your phone and make sure that you’re not trying to flash it on a different device.
This new update from AOKP brings tweaked features. It is mostly an update that fixes bugs from previous editions so that it becomes the most stable AOKP JB custom ROM until now. You can install this update over previous AOKP JB builds without the need of wiping data and factory resetting your smartphone. There aren’t too many new functions included within this ROM, but you will still be able to notice some differences.
If you’re currently having a different custom ROM running on your Galaxy Vibrant T-Mobile phone, you need to read the pre-requisites info. It is listed below. As I’ve told you already, in case your device is running AOKP JB Build 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, then you can skip this part and move directly to the tutorial. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install this AOKP JB Milestone 1 custom ROM only on devices that are T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Vibrant with the model number T959. Do not attempt to flash these files on any other smartphone or tablet; you will brick them.
- The phone you’re about to update should be running on an unlocked bootloader, it has to be rooted and CWM / TWRP Recovery has to be installed on it. Without these requirement you cannot install this custom ROM.
- Create a full backup of the currently installed ROM. This file should be extremely useful in case you don’t like the new ROM or if the installation doesn’t go as planned and the phone is unable to boot. You can use the backup and restore it using the same application you’ve used in order to create it.
- Create a list of installed apps, backup your SMS, Call logs and the APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that some of them will ask for root access.
- Sync your Contacts app with the Gmail assigned for your phone. You will have to enter the same Google account after installing the new ROM.
- The USB debugging option should be enabled. This will allow you yo move files from your PC to internal SDcard. You will find out in the tutorial why you have to do that. Also, charge your phone’s battery so that it won’t power off while you’re flashing the new update.
- This is a guide that can be applied in under 5 minutes. Please note that we cannot be blamed in case your device gets bricked after the custom ROM files are flashed.
- Read the whole post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps I’ve listed in the tutorial as that will result in a failed attempt of updating your smartphone.
That’s all the extra info you had to read. Now you should move to the tutorial guide and learn how to successfully flash this new custom ROM on your device.
Flash AOKP JB Milestone 1 for Samsung Galaxy Vibrant T-Mobile:
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE. Don’t extract its contents and save it on your PC desktop screen.
- Get the Google apps zip for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean from HERE. Save it on your PC.
- Move both files on your smartphone’s internal SDcard. After you’ve moved all of them, unplug the phone from PC and then power it OFF.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing all these buttons at the same time: volume up, volume down and power. Release the buttons when the screen flashes and then the smartphone will boot into ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP recovery mode; it depends on the custom recovery image you have installed on your Samsung Vibrant device.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm. NOTE: If you’re device is already running an AOKP JB Build 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 ROM, then you can skip this step and move to the next one to install the new ROM over the old build.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Now find the AOKP JB M1 ROM and confirm its installation.
- Repeat the same action in step 6 and install the Gapps zip. When both files are installed you should return to the main custom recovery image.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ option and wait until first boot completes loading all its new files.
- When the boot is complete you will have to take control over your phone once again by entering your Google account. Test the AOKP JB Milestone 1 ROM and tell us in comments how it works for your device.
NOTE: in case the first boot process takes too long to complete or in case your device freezes at the boot animation, or in case it goes into a boot loop, it means that the update was not successful and you have to power off the smartphone. Now remove its battery for 5 seconds and after that re-insert it back to its place and then repeat the entire tutorial again starting with step 4. Now you have to apply the step 5 no matter which ROM you’re device had installed before this new one.
In case you’re having problems with this update, you should use the ROM backup files and restore your device to its previous working status. I think that these are all the instructions that I have for you. Test the new update and tell us in comments if you find any bugs or errors while using it.
Remember that this is currently the most stable release of AOKP JB ROM and until the next one, AOKP team will release nightlies builds that might be unstable. That is why you should create a Backup of the AOKP JB M1 rom every time you’re trying to flash a brand new AOKP JB build.