Install Official AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Android Open Kang Project team has released the AOKP Milestone 2 ROM for the Verizon Galaxy Note 2 device. Use this post and learn how to successfully update it.
Info about features and new things added by AOKP Milestone 2 Android 4.2.2 JB Custom ROM is listed here. Read the guidelines below before starting the installation:
- This post works only with the Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 device. Its model number is I605.
- Don’t install the zip you find in this post on any other Android device.
- Your device has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running TWRP or CWM Recovery.
- System partition data such as installed apps files, SMS, Call logs info and other similar files will be wiped in the process. That’s because the tutorial will ask you to apply a factory reset for your device.
- The internal storage / external SD card won’t be affected by the ‘factory reset’.
- Use Titanium Backup (here) or the Google Play Store Helyum app by Koushik Dutta to backup installed apps data.
- Backup SMS, APN Internet Settings and Call Logs info with these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be needed for some of these applications.
- Sync the Contacts data with your Gmail account using the info listed here.
- Enable USB debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that the Verizon Galaxy Note 2 battery has enough power left before powering off completely. If the device powers off in the middle of the updating process you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial again.
- This is a guide for advanced users who want to tinker with their smartphone and test a popular Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM.
- We won’t be held responsible in case you brick your device or you lose any important data in the process.
Since you’ve gone past all of the above info, you can now continue to the installation guide. If you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to update Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Verizon model with AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM:
- Download AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean ROM for the VZW Note 2 from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from here.
- Use the USB data cable and connect your device with your computer.
- Move both zip files to your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 internal storage. When the files are copied, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off the device now.
- Boot it into CWM / TWRP custom Recovery Mode.
- First thing you need to do is to create a NANDROID backup of the ROM that’s currently installed on your smartphone.
> CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ option, confirm the process.
> TWRP Recovery: Press the Backup button, then select the system data you wish to backup and confirm.
- Now, apply the ‘factory reset’:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm the process.
> TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Next, install the AOKP M2 Android 4.2.2 JB ROM:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP M2 zip and confirm the installation.
> TWRP Recovery: press Install, then browse your device’s internal SDcard contents. Find the AOKP M2 zip. Confirm that you wish to update your device by sliding the blue button.
- After the ROM is flashed with success, repeat the actions listed under step 9 in order to install the Gapps zip as well. When the installations are complete, return to the main Custom Recovery screen.
- Now you can reboot the device and wait for it to load all the new ROM files.
- When the AOKP M2 Android 4.2.2 home screen appears you will need to enter your Google Account credentials and take control over your device once again.
I hope that you’ve managed to successfully update your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 using the instructions that I have listed above. If you have problems during the installation the you should ask for more help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to find a viable solution faster.
If you don’t like the new ROM or your VZW Galaxy Note 2 runs slower with it, then you can easily restore it to its previous ROM using the Nandroid Backup file created in step 7. Use the same custom Recovery Mode to restore the smartphone.