The CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies are now available for the Verizon model of Samsung Galaxy S3. You can learn how to successfully install it on your device by reading the instructions that I have listed in this article. Make sure to read the entire post and if you want to test a brand new and bloatware-free ROM, then the CM10.1 Nightly build is your best choice.
This is a Jelly Bean 4.2.1 release and it comes with all the stock features and functions that you would find on any other Android 4.2.1 ROM. It has been created by the CyanogenMod team and it brings all CM-based functions. There is no bloatware and you can rest assured that this ROM works great. It might still be in its Nightly-stage but this release is very stable and it should work with success on your smartphone. If you have any problems with this CM10.1 Nightly build, then you should use CWM recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache. That should get rid of any force closing errors.
If your device is the International GSM variant of Galaxy S3 then you can install the same CM10. Nightlies build using this guide HERE.
In order to install the CM10.1 Official Nightlies for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 you will first need to read the preparation info below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Verizon variant with the model number I535. This guide shouldn’t be used on other version of SGS3 nor on other Android devices.
- The Verizon SGS3 you’re about to update with this new custom Android 4.2.1 ROM should be on unlocked bootloader, it has to be rooted and running CWM Recovery. Without these you cannot flash these customization files.
- It is highly recommended for you to use CWM recovery and create a full nandroid backup of the current ROM. It will act as cover in case you cannot use your device after installing CM 10.1 Nightly build.
- Use the following tools if you wish to save a list with your installed apps, backup SMS and Call Logs or APN Internet Settings: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Some of these tools will ask for root access and you should grant that.
- Sync your Contacts data with your own Gmail account, that will backup all the phone numbers and other Contact details stored on your device.
- Remember to charge your phone’s battery so that the device won’t shut down during the installation of this new ROM.
- This is a tutorial for advanced users. Note that we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong and you can’t use your phone after installing the new ROM.
- Read the entire post and use the comments section to ask for any extra help.
Now that you know all the extra info above, move to the next part of this article and learn how to flash the latest CyanogenMod team nightly build based on Android 4.2.1.
How to flash Official CM10.1 Nightly Build on Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the CM10.1 Nightlies zip from HERE. Save this file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Gapps for CM10.1 and Android 4.2.1 from HERE. Get the correct version for this build of CM. Don’t unzip the file.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC and then move both files on its Internal SD card. When the transfer is complete you can disconnect the device from computer.
- Power off your SGS3 Verizon now.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. When the custom recovery mode appears you can release the buttons.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option to create a full NANDROID backup of your current SGS3 ROM. If you already have such file then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm. This is a very important step and you shouldn’t skip it.
- Next, select ‘install zip from SDcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 Nightly zip for SGS3 and install it. Confirm the ROM installation.
- Select once again the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then you should find the Gapps zip. Confirm that you want to install it. When the installation is complete you can return to the main custom recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ option and then you wait until the first boot process of CM10.1 completes.
- Enter your Google Account details and then you can begin testing the new ROM. NOTE: You should open the App drawer, then tap Settings icon. Select ‘Apps’ section and then ‘ALL’, find the Clock app and clear its data, which will prevent this app from force closing under this new ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to take. Make sure that in case the first boot process of CM 10.1 doesn’t complete successfully, then you will have to power off the device by removing its battery. Re-insert the battery after 5 seconds and then repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 5. Make sure to apply the actions listed under step 7. If you have problems completing the install, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Make sure to test the new CM10.1 ROM on your Verizon Galaxy S3 I535. If you wish to keep this ROM updated, go to Settings, then About phone and then read the info under CyanogenMod Updates section.