CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly has been released several weeks ago for the Verizon Samsung Note 2 device and you can learn how to install it on your device using the info I’ve listed in this tutorial. Note that this is a guide for advanced users and you shouldn’t attempt to install it in case you want to use it on a daily basis.
CM 10.2 Nightly is based on AOSP Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. In order to successfully install this new custom ROM you will first need to take a look at these guidelines:
- This tutorial works exclusively with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Verizon model. Do not attempt to use this guide on a different Verizon Note 2 smartphone edition.
- Use this post only for devices that are rooted, factory unlocked with CWM or TWRP Recovery installed.
- Both CWM and TWRP Recoveries will work with this guide.
- During the installation process you’ll be asked to wipe data and factory reset your device. This is a mandatory step so that the new ROM will boot into normal mode after installation.
– if your device already sports a previous build of CM 10.2 Nightly, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’.
- The ‘factory reset’ removes all installed applications data, Contacts, SMS, Call Logs and all the other data stored on your device’s system partition.
- Backup installed applications data with Helium tool from Google Play or with Titanium Backup app.
- If you wish to backup SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings, then you can use these Android apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these apps.
- Contacts can be synced with your Gmail account. This step will backup all your saved phone numbers and Contacts details to your Google cloud storage and, all this data will be restored when you enter your Google Account info after the ROM is installed.
- Enable USB Debugging option. This can be found in the Developer Options under Settings menu.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left before completely switching off. If the phone powers off in the middle of the installation process, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- Note that this post is for more advanced users and you should create a full NANDROID Backup for your currently installed ROM before starting the installation.
- Don’t skip any steps and use the comments section in case you need help to complete the CM 10.2 install.
- Remember that we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong, you brick the phone or you lose data in the process.
These were the guidelines that you had to go over before continuing to the next part of this article.
How to install CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2:
- Download the CM 10.2 Nightly zip from here.
– make sure to download the latest build available of CyanogenMod 10.2
– do not extract the files stored in the archived zip.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom ROMs from here.
– this is the zip that you need to flash in order to install all Google-based applications that your phone needs in order to run correctly.
– do not unzip the archive.
- Connect your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 with your computer via USB data cable.
- Move both the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly and Gapps zips to your phone’s internal SDcard.
– when the files are copied with success, disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off the smartphone now and then boot it into Custom Recovery Mode.
– both CWM and TWRP Recovery will work with this post.
- When you’re seeing the main CWM / TWRP Recovery screen, create a NANDROID Backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your device:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’, then use the Backup option to complete the process.
– TWRP Recovery: press Backup, select the system parts you want to save and then confirm.
- Next step requires you to ‘factory reset’ your device:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then choose the Factory Reset option. Confirm the process.
> NOTE: in case your smartphone already runs on a previous CM 10.2 Nightly ROM then you can skip this step.
> If you skip ‘factory reset’ and your device doesn’t boot into normal mode, then you will be forced to return to this step and apply the wipe process.
- Now you can start the installation of CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly on your Verizon Note 2 device:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly zip and confirm the install.
– TWRP Recovery: press Install, browse your device’s internal storage for the CM 10.2 Nightly. Confirm the installation by sliding the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
> don’t press any buttons while the installation is in progress.
- After the CyanogenMod 10.2 custom ROM is installed, then you can flash the Gapps zip as well. Use the same actions as in step 8.
- When the installation of both zip files is complete, return to the main custom Recovery screen. Reboot the smartphone.
- Enter your Google account details when the home screen appears. Now you can start testing this new ROM and see if your device’s performance has been improved.
If the first boot process takes too long to complete, the phone enters into a boot loop or the ROM shows too many errors, then you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps that are listed above.
I hope that you did manage to update your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 with the latest CM 10.2 Nightly build. Test your new ROM. If you have any other problems during the installation, you should ask for more help in comments.
If you like the new CM 10.2 Nightly ROM and how your Verizon Note 2 phablet works with it, then you should know that you can continue updating it using the CM Updater tool from Settings screen.
Also, if you don’t like the ROM, then you can restore the device to its previously installed one using the files listed in step 6.