CyanogenMod team has launched the official CM 10.2 Nightly ROM for the AT&T Galaxy S3 device. Use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully update your device using the files listed in this post.
CM 10.2 Nighlty build has been launched several days ago and you should know that it still packs some errors and bugs, which is why you should only install it if you’re planning on testing it in order to get a look at the Android 4.3 and the latest CyanogenMod 10.2 features and functions.
Read the guidelines below before starting the updating process , as you will learn what you have to do in order to install the CM 10.2 ROM at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- This is a guide that you need to apply for the AT&T variant of the Galaxy S3.
- Your device has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image.
- The TWRP and CWM Recovery will work with this tutorial, as you will find instructions for both variants listed here.
- In order to flash this new firmware, you will first need to apply a ‘factory reset’, which will remove all installed apps data and other similar files such as SMS, Call Logs etc.
– if your AT&T Galaxy S3 device already runs with a previous CM 10.2 ROM build, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’. But, in case you do skip this step and the device doesn’t boot into normal mode, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again for the new CM 10.2 Nightly build to boot.
- If you want to backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings, then you can try the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Contacts data with the Gmail account you’ve assigned as default for your smartphone.
- Make sure that your device’s battery power levels are over 50% so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- This is a guide for advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the device nor in case you lose any data files in the process.
- Read this entire tutorial and make sure that you don’t skip any steps.
- Use the comments section to ask for any extra help in case you cannot complete the update.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to update your device with a custom Android 4.3 Jelly Bean AOSP ROM.
How to install Official CM 10.2 Nightly ROM for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3
- Download the latest CM 10.2 Nightly ROM build from here.
– get the latest version.
- Download Gapps for CM 10.2 / Android 4.3 Custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer using the USB data cable.
- Move both zip files on your phone’s internal storage.
– do not unzip the archived zip contents.
- When the files are copied, disconnect the device from your PC. Now power off the AT&T Galaxy S3 completely.
- Boot the device into CWM / TWRP Recovery mode.
- When the main Custom Recovery menu appears, you should create a NANDROID Backup of the current ROM that is currently installed on your device.
> for CWM Recovery select the ‘backup and restore’ option, after that you should confirm the process.
> for TWRP Recovery press Backup, then select the system files you wish to save. Confirm.
- Now you need to apply the ‘factory reset’.
> for CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm.
> for TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm the process and wait for it to complete.
- Flash the custom ROM now:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.2 Nightlies file and confirm the installation.
> TWRP Recovery: press Install, then browse the internal storage for the CM 10.2 Nightlies ROM. Load the file and confirm that you want to install it by sliding the blue button located at the bottom of the screen.
- After the ROM is installed, you should repeat step 9 and flash the Gapps file too.
- When both files are flashed, you need to return to the main Custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot the smartphone using the ‘reboot system now’ option for CWM, while the TWRP Recovery can be rebooted by clicking on Reboot, then System.
> Now the AT&T Galaxy S3 boots into normal mode, but you should wait several minutes for the first boot process to complete.
- Enter your Google Account info when the CM 10.2 Nightly / Android 4.3 home screen loads.
- Test all the new features and functions, customize the home screens and tell us in comments if you find any major bugs while using this new custom ROM.
These were the instructions that you had to follow in order to update your AT&T Galaxy S3 with the latest build of CM 10.2 Nightly ROM. If you have any problems installing the files, then you can always ask for more help in comments and we will offer you solutions.
If you don’t like this new ROM, then you can use the backup files created in step 7 and restore your device to its previous ROM using the same custom Recovery Mode.