CyanogenMod team has now released the official CM 10.2 Nightlies for the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket smartphone. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully update your device with one of the best Android 4.3 custom ROMs currently available.
Note that this tutorial is for advanced users and you shouldn’t attempt to try and flash the files you find here in case you don’t know what you’re doing. Read this entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any step as you wouldn’t want to repeat all steps more than once.
CM 10.2 Nightly is a custom ROM based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean AOSP. It packs tons of great features and tools that should improve the performance of your device. However, note that since your device has been launched several years ago and the Android 4.3 is the latest OS released, then the phone’s battery life might not be that good.
In order to make sure that you correctly update your device you will first need to take a look at the guidelines below:
- This article will work exclusively with the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. Do not attempt to use this post for any other Galaxy S2 variation, as you will end up bricking it.
- Your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket has to be rooted, factory unlocked and running a custom Recovery image like CWM or TWRP.
- Both TWRP and CWM Recoveries will work with this tutorial.
- In the ‘how-to’ guide you will find the ‘factory reset’ step. This will delete all contents from your phone’s system partition, while the internal storage will remain intact.
- If you wish to backup installed applications data use Helium from Google Play Store or Titanium Backup. Note that the TB tool might not work that well with CM 10.2 custom ROMs, which is why you should avoid using it.
- If you want to save SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings, then you should use the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be required for some of these tools.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account. This will backup all your saved phone numbers to your Google account. To restore this data you need to enter the same Google account after the installation is complete.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure to create a NANDROID Backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.
– this file will prove to be useful in case something goes wrong, as it can be used to restore your device to its current state.
- Don’t skip any steps.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left before completely discharging.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone or you lose any important data in the process.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this tutorial and learn how to successfully flash a custom Android 4.3 JB ROM for your device without bricking it.
How to install CM 10.2 Nightly ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket:
- Download CM 10.2 Nightly ROM from here.
– grab the latest build and don’t unzip its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 JB custom ROMs from here.
– this file has to be installed after you flash the ROM, as it will add all the Google-based applications for your device.
- Connect the phone with your PC via USB Cable.
- Copy the files downloaded in step 1 and 2 to your smartphone’s internal storage. When the files are transferred you should disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket now.
- Boot the device into Custom Recovery Mode.
– both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are supported by this guide.
- When you’re at the main custom Recovery screen you should first create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’, then use the Backup to Internal SDcard to create the file. Confirm the process.
– TWRP Recovery: press Backup, then select the system files you wish to save. Confirm.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset’:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset option. Confirm.
>NOTE: In case your smartphone is already running on a previous CM 10.2 Nightly build, then you can skip this step and overwrite it with a new build.
>In case you skip the factory reset and the phone doesn’t boot into normal mode after installing the new CM 10.2 Nightly version, then you will need to return to this step and apply factory reset.
- Now you can finally install the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM for your Galaxy S2 SkyRocket:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ‘CM 10.2 Nightly’ zip file. Confirm its installation.
– TWRP Recovery: press Install, browse the internal storage and load the CM 10.2 Nightly file. Confirm that you want to install it by sliding the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
> note that the installation will take several minutes to complete and you shouldn’t press any buttons.
- When the ROM is installed you will need to repeat step 9 actions to flash the Gapps file. After this file is installed you should return to the main custom Recovery menu.
- Reboot your smartphone when both files have been installed with success.
– the first boot process of this new custom ROM will take several minutes to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen of CM 10.2 Nightly appears. That’s it, you’ve updated your device and you can start testing the new ROM now.
These were all the steps that you had to take. In case you have problems during the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments. If the ROM doesn’t install at your first attempt, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial once again without skipping any steps that I’ve listed above.
You can continue to update this build with new Nightly CM 10.2 builds using the CM Updater tool under Settings menu.
Also, if you don’t like how your device runs with the new ROM, then you can use the Custom Recovery Mode and restore the previously installed ROM using the files created in step 7.