If you want to test one of the best custom ROMs ever released for the US Cellular Galaxy S3 device then you’re in the right place. Use this post and learn how to update your smartphone with Official CM 10.2 Nightly ROM using only two simply zip files.
Make sure to take a look at the preparation info below if you want to apply the installation at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- This post will work exclusively with the US Cellular variant of the Galaxy S3.
- Don’t try to update any other device using the files you find here, as you will brick the device.
- The Galaxy S3 US Cellular phone has to be rooted, running a custom Recovery as well as being factory unlocked. Without these requirements being met you cannot complete the CM 10.2 Nightly installation.
- For this ROM to install correctly you will need to apply ‘factory reset’. NOTE: In case your device already features a previous CM 10.2 build, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’. More info in the tutorial.
- This ‘factory reset’ action will remove the system partition contents, while the internal SDcard won’t be affected.
- Backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings use the following apps for Android devices: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Grant root access for any of these apps.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Check the battery power levels and make sure that there is still at least 50% left before the US Cellular Galaxy S3 switches off.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps.
- This tutorial should be applied by advanced users. Do not blame us if you brick the device or you lose any data in the process.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
Now that you know all of the above continue to the tutorial. Note that in case you cannot complete the update, then you can ask for extra help in comments.
How to flash CM 10.2 Nightly ROM for US Cellular Galaxy S3:
- Download the Official CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM from get.cm here.
– grab the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for CM 10.2 from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC using the USB data cable.
- Now copy and paste the CM 10.2 ROM and Gapps zip files to your phone’s internal storage. Do not extract the zip archive.
– when the files are copied you can disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off your smartphone completely.
- Boot the device into CWM or TWRP Recovery. Both custom Recovery modes will work with this guide.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your US Cellular Galaxy S3:
> CWM Recovery: select the ‘backup and restore’ option. Confirm.
> TWRP Recovery: press Backup, select the system files you wish to save and confirm.
- Now you can apply the ‘factory reset’ process:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm the process.
> TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Flash the custom ROM now:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then select the option that says ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM and confirm its installation.
> TWRP Recovery: press Install. Browse the internal SDcard, find the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM, load it into TWRP and confirm the process.
- When the ROM has been flashed, repeat step 9 and install Gapps zip.
- After both files have been installed, return to the main Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now into normal mode.
- Enter the Google Account details and take control over your device.
These were the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your US Cellular Galaxy S3. If you have any other questions, then you should use the comments field.
If you don’t like this new ROM, use the custom Recovery menu and restore the NANDROID Backup file created in step 7.