CyanogenMod team has finished the work on their latest CM 10.2 Nightly ROM and now you can install it on your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone. Read this entire post and you will manage to complete the update easily without bricking the device.
In order to make sure that you will flash the Android 4.3 AOSP custom ROM at your first attempt, you should take a look at the preparation info below. Here’s what you need to know:
- Use this tutorial only with the Sprint model of the Samsung Galaxy S4 device. Your phone should have the L720 model number.
- Do not try to flash the files you find here on any other Android device, as you will brick it.
- The Sprint Galaxy S4 that you’re about to update should be rooted, factory unlocked and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP. Both custom Recoveries will work with this tutorial and all the info you need is listed in the tutorial.
- This is a tutorial that will ask you to factory reset your device, which is why you need to know that all data stored on the system partition will be wiped.
- The internal storage won’t be affected by this installation.
- If you want to backup installed apps data then you can use Helium (here) or the Titanium Backup tool (here).
- To backup SMS, Call logs info and other similar data, then you should use these tools for Android phones: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. You will have to grant root access for some of these apps.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account, so that you will be able to restore all saved phone numbers after installation the new ROM.
- Enable USB debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that you know what you’re doing, as we cannot be blamed in case you brick the device or you lose important data files.
- Don’t skip any steps that I have listed in this post.
- Read the entire tutorial before starting the update.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps and use the comments section to ask for any extra help.
How to update Sprint Galaxy S4 using the Official CM 10.2 Nightly Android 4.3 custom ROM:
- Download the CM 10.2 ROM file from here.
– get the latest build and don’t unzip the file.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
– do not unzip the archive.
- Connect the device with your computer using the USB cable.
- Now move both zip files to your Sprint Galaxy S4 internal SDcard. When these files are moved with success, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your device.
- Boot the Sprint SGS4 into CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
– both custom Recovery modes are supported by this installation.
– if you don’t know how to boot recovery then you should read the info listed here.
- First thing that you should do is to create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ option. Confirm the process.
– TWRP Recovery: press the Backup option. Then select the system data you want to save and confirm.
- Now you can apply the ‘factory reset':
– for CWM Recovery select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm.
– for TWRP Recovery press Wipe, then Factory reset. Confirm.
– note that in case your device is already running a previous build of the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM, then you can skip this step.
– if you skip this step but the phone doesn’t boot into normal mode, then you should return to this step and apply ‘factory reset’.
- Install the CM 10.2 Nightly Android 4.3 ROM:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file and confirm this process.
– TWRP Recovery: press Install, then you have to browse the internal storage. Load the ROM and confirm.
– wait for the ROM to install and don’t press any buttons.
- After the ROM has been installed, repeat step 9 actions to install Gapps file too.
- Now that you’ve managed to update your Sprint Galaxy S4 with CM 10.2 Nightly ROM, return to the main Recovery Screen.
- Reboot the smartphone.
- The first boot process of this new ROM will take several minutes to complete. Enter the Google Account info and take control over your phone.
I think that these were all the steps that you had to follow. If you can’t complete the installation, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed above. Also, ask for more help in comments.
Note that you can continue updating your Sprint Galaxy S4 with new CM 10.2 Nightly build via CM Updater, a small utility that can be found in the Settings folder.
In case you find major bugs or you simply don’t like this new CM 10.2 Nightly ROM, then you can always use the NANDROID Backup file of your previous ROM and restore your phone to its previous OS.