Install Official CM 11 Nightlies ROM for Google Nexus 5
The Official build of CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies based on KitKat is now ready for the Nexus 5 smartphone. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully flash this custom ROM on your device.
This is a guide that should be used by tinkerers and users who love to play with their phone’s operating system. Since this is a custom ROM and designed by the CyanogenMod team, then you should expect it get a great Android 4.4 KitKat experience. CM 11 Nightly for Nexus 5 packs all the stock AOSP Android 4.4 features along with tons of other CM-based functions such as the CyanogenMod Account, screencasting and others more. All the extra info that you need on the CM 11 Nightly builds can be found here.
Read the entire post before starting the installation of CM 11 Nightly on your Nexus 5:
- Use this guide only with the Google Nexus 5 smartphone.
- don’t attempt to update any other devices with the files that you’ll find in this article.
- Note that your phone has to run on an unlocked bootloader, it should be rooted and running the latest version of CWM or TWRP Recovery.
- in case you didn’t unlock the bootloader, then you should know that it will wipe all data from your device.
- - if your device doesn’t meet these requirements then you shouldn’t try to flash the CM 11 custom ROM.
- For this new ROM to install correctly you will have to apply a ‘factory reset’ for your phone. This means that you will lose all data stored on the system partition.
- ‘factory reset’ doesn’t remove any data stored on your phone’s internal storage.
> you can skip ‘factory reset’ only in case your phone already sports a previous CM 11 Nightly build.
- Make sure create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM. This will set a restore point for your phone and you can use it case the new phone doesn’t boot in normal mode with the new ROM or in case you don’t like how your device works with CM11 Nightly.
- Data from installed applications can be backed up using the Helium tool for Android from Google Play Store here.
- Backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account, so that you will be able to restore all People details and Contacts info with your Google Account after the installation is complete.
- guide here for those of you who don’t know how to do it.
- Use this tutorial only if you’re an advanced Android user.
- Note that since CM 11 Nightly is the first stage of this popular ROM, then you might still find some errors and bugs while testing it.
- do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps when you start installing the CyanogenMod 11 Nightly ROM on your Nexus 5 phone.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the phone won’t switch off while you’re flashing the new ROM.
Now that you know all of the above, you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to update your phone with one of the most popular KitKat custom ROMs.
How to flash CM 11 Nightly Android 4.4 ROM for Nexusw 5:
- Download the CM 11 Nightly ROM from here.
- make sure to download the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4 custom ROMs from here.
- After both files are downloaded, connect your phone to your PC.
- Move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- do not unzip the contents of the archived files.
- when the files are copied, disconnect your phone from computer.
- Next, power off the Nexus 5.
- Boot the device in Bootloader Mode and then boot it into custom Recovery Mode.
- remember that both CWM / TWRP Recovery will work, but only as long as these are updated to their latest version.
- if you don’t know how to boot custom Recovery, then you can learn using the ‘Nexus 4 how-to boot Recovery’ guide here. (it will work for Nexus 5 too)
- First thing that you need to do is to create the full ROM Nandroid Backup for the installed OS:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and store it on your device’s internal storage.
- TWRP: press Backup, then swipe to confirm the backup process.
> don’t skip this step.
- Next, apply Factory Reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then press Factory Reset. Confirm the process.
> do not skip the step unless your device already runs on a previous CM 11 Nightly ROM.
- Now you can finally flash the brand new custom ROM:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then find the CM 11 Nightly zip. Confirm installation.
- TWRP: press Install, find the CM 11 Nightly zip. Confirm process by swiping the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
- After the ROM is flashed, repeat step 9 actions and select the same options in order to flash the Gapps zip as well.
- When both files are installed, get back to the main custom Recovery Mode menu.
- Reboot your phone now.
- note that the first boot process takes a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until all files are loaded successfully.
- After the home screen of CM 11 Nightly appears you can enter your CyanogenMod / Google account or both, in order to take control over your smartphone once again.
NOTE: if the first boot process takes more than ten minutes to complete or it enters into a boot loop, then it would be best for you to power off the phone and then boot it in Recovery mode once again. Repeat the entire tutorial, make sure to apply ‘factory reset’ and you can try to ‘wipe / format system’ too, which is a different option than ‘factory reset’.
If you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments and we will come up with a solution to help you flash CM 11 Nightly successfully on your Nexus 5.
These were all the steps you had to take and now you’re free to start testing this brand new ROM on your device.