Install Official CM 11 Nightly KitKat ROM for Cricket Samsung Galaxy S4
CyanogenMod team has released the official CM 11 Nightly custom builds for the Cricket variant of the Galaxy S4. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to successfully update your device using all the info posted below.
This is a custom ROM that is being designed by the popular CyanogenMod team. It is based on AOSP Android 4.4 KitKat and it packs tons of other CM-based functions such as Screencasting, TextSecure support etc. More info about these builds can be found here. Note that this is not an official Samsung / Cricket OTA Update, but a custom ROM that offers you the possibility to test the latest KitKat build on your device.
If you want to learn how to successfully update your device, then you should first take a look at the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Cricket variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone.
- this is a guide that shouldn’t be used with any other S4 variants.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest version of CWM Recovery.
- the TWRP Recovery should work with this guide too.
- a ‘factory reset’ is required for this tutorial and you shouldn’t skip the step.
- factory reset wipes all data stored on your phone’s system partition, while the internal storage won’t be affected by this tutorial.
- do not skip this process, as the new ROM might not boot in normal mode.
- create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM before installing the new CM 11 Nightly build.
- it will set a restore point for your phone, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- this step is found in the tutorial part too and it shouldn’t be skipped.
- backup data from installed applications using the Helium tool for Android — Google Play Store link here.
- backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- it will backup all the people details and contact phone numbers before starting the installation of this new ROM.
- guide here for those who don’t know how to do it.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and don’t blame us in case you brick the phone while attempting to update it with a custom Android 4.4 KitKat ROM.
- this is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data files in the process.
- if you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
- check the phone’s battery power levels and make sure that this is over 50%, so that the device won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
Since you’ve read all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your smartphone with the latest CyanogenMod nightly build.
How to flash CM 11 Nightly ROM based on Android 4.4 for Galaxy S4 Cricket:
- Download the CM 11 Nightly zip from here.
- get the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your device to your PC and then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- after the files are copied successfully, you should disconnect your device from computer.
- do not unzip the contents of the archives.
- Power off the phone now.
- Boot the Galaxy S4 in CWM Recovery Mode.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then you can learn using the instructions listed here.
- TWRP Recovery might work too, but it is highly recommended for you to use the latest version of CWM instead.
- First, create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
- select ‘backup and restore’, then save the file and continue to the next step when done.
- Now you can ‘Factory Reset’ the phone.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm the process.
> do not skip this step.
> factory reset can be skipped only in case your device already runs on an older and official CM 11 Nightly ROM.
- Next, install the new ROM:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 11 Nightly zip and confirm the installation.
- When the new custom ROM is installed, disconnect your phone from computer, then select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’:
- find the Gapps zip and install it too.
- After both the ROM and Gapps are flashed, get back to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device in normal mode now and wait until the first boot process of CM 11 Nightly loads all files.
- Enter your CyanogenMod / Google Account and take control over your phone now.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your smartphone with the latest build of CyanogenMod 11 Nightly.
NOTE: If the first boot process doesn’t complete after ten minutes or the device enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to power off the phone. Since the installation has failed you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again, make sure to apply the ‘factory reset’ step and additionally you need to go to Advanced CWM Options and ‘format /system’ as well. The new ROM should install successfully now.
If you have any other questions regarding the installation of CM 11 Nightly ROM on your Cricket Galaxy S4 device, then you should post them below in comments.