The Samsung Galaxy Nexus will not get the official Android 4.4 OTA Update, but that doesn’t mean that there won’t be any stable custom ROMs for its users to install. Use this guide and learn how to successfully update your Galaxy Nexus with the latest CM 11 Nightly build.
More info about this release can be found at the CyanogenMod blog page here.
In order to make sure that you successfully update your device with CM 11 Nightly KitKat ROM, read the preparation guide below first:
- this post works only with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone.
- don’t attempt to update any other devices with the files listed in the tutorial.
- your device has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery.
- make sure that the latest CWM Recovery is installed on your device.
- TWRP might work too, but it is recommended for you to use the latest version of CWM Recovery.
- make sure not to skip the ‘NANDROID ROM Backup’ step, as that one will help you create a restore point for your device.
- a ‘factory reset’ is required and this step can be found in the tutorial.
- do not skip this step, as otherwise the new ROM might not boot in normal mode and you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial more than once.
> you can skip the ‘factory reset’ only in case your smartphone already sports a previous official CM 11 Nightly build.
- backup data from applications that are installed using Helium tool — Google Play Store link here.
- backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- sync Contacts data with your default Gmail account.
- those who don’t know how to backup such data can use the guide here.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the phone won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and ask for more help in comments in case you can’t complete the installation.
- this is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data.
Since you’ve read all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your device with a custom Android 4.4 KitKat custom ROM.
How to flash CM 11 Nightly ROM for Galaxy Nexus I9250:
- Download the latest CM 11 Nightly zip build from here.
- make sure to grab the latest build.
- Download the Gapps zip for Android 4.4 from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC, then move both zip files to your Galaxy Nexus internal storage.
- when the files are copied, disconnect the phone from PC.
- do not unzip the files.
- Power off your device.
- Next, boot your phone in CWM Recovery Mode.
- TWRP might work too.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’, save the file on your device and then continue to the next step when done.
- Now, apply Factory Reset for your phone:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm the process.
- Next, install the new custom ROM:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’, find the CM 11 Nightly zip.
- confirm the installation.
- After the ROM is installed, select once again the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Flash the Gapps zip now.
- When both files are installed, return to the first CWM Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
- the first boot process takes several minutes for all the files to be correctly loaded.
- if the first boot takes more than ten minutes or the device enters into a boot loop, then you should repeat the entire tutorial.
- Create your CyanogenMod account when the home screen appears, then take control over your device and start testing all the new features.
These were all the steps you had to take, now you can start testing the CM 11 Nightly ROM on your Galaxy Nexus.
For other questions or extra help completing the guide, use the comments section below.