CM10.1 M1 is the latest Milestone Release for this ROM and it should be launched on a monthly basis. Use this guide to learn how to successfully install the CyanogenMod M1 ROM on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus device. Read all the info I’ve listed and you should manage to install it in under 5 minutes.
The M stands for Milestone or Month, but we can’t be sure. However, it is a stable release that incorporates all the CM10.1 Nightlies releases with several improvements and tweaks that should make it a reliable ROM for your phone. It is one of the best and most popular Android 4.2.1 ROMs and you should really give it a try, especially if you didn’t have the change to test it.
In order to successfully flash the first Official M release of CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM, read the guidelines below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It has the model number I515 and the codename ‘toro’. Don’t attempt to install the CM10.1 MR1 on any other smartphone.
- Your smartphone needs an unlocked bootloader, it should be rooted and running a custom Recovery image. If yours doesn’t then you can follow the instructions listed in this guide HERE.
- Use the custom Recovery mode and create a full backup of the current ROM. That will set a restore point for your GNex in case something goes wrong after installing the new OS.
- In the ‘how-to’ guide you will find a step that asks you to factory reset your device. That means that you can choose to backup SMS and other important data using these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. If you plan to save video and images, then you can easily move such files on your PC using the USB cable.
- Save all your Contacts by syncing them with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging. Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged as you wouldn’t like if the Gnex device will power off in the middle of the updating process.
- Read all the instructions that I’ve listed and make sure that you don’t skip any steps I’ve listed. If you’re having problems completing the install, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, you can get to the next part of this post. Remember that this is a guide for advanced users but you should still be able to flash the ROM if you’re a novice and you carefully follow all the actions that I’ve listed below.
How to install CM10.1 M1 custom ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus I515:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Don’t extract and save the file on your PC.
- Download Gapps for CM10.1 from HERE. This is the file that you’ll use to install all Google-based applications. Don’t unzip.
- Connect the Gnex device to your PC using the USB cable.
- Move the files downloaded at steps 1 and 2 on the phone’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied.
- Power off your phone now.
- Boot it into Custom Recovery mode now by pressing at the same time Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons. Release the buttons when the custom recovery mode appears. (We’re gonna use the CWM Recovery mode but you can use TWRP if you prefer it).
- Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM in case you don’t have one already. NOTE: Users who already made such backup can skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm this process.
- Next you need to install the ROM by selecting ‘install zip from sdcard’. Next, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and browse your phone for the CM 10.1 M1 zip file. Confirm that you want to install it.
- Now you need to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Gapps for CM10.1 zip and install it. Confirm.
- Return to the main recovery mode selection menu. Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the first boot process to complete.
- The first boot process shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes, and when it’s done you simply enter your Google Account details and take control over your device once again.
- Test the new ROM and tell us in comments which is its best new feature.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes too long to complete then you will be forced to power off the device and then repeat the entire tutorial once again starting with step 5. This time you will need to apply the step 8 so that you’ll perform a clean install.
If you have any other questions regarding the installation of this new ROM, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Also, if you want to continue installing new CM 10.1 Nightly builds on your Galaxy Nexus Verizon, then you can easily open Settings, then scroll down to About Phone. Click on ‘CyanogenMod Updated’. Select the latest build and flash it with a single tap on the display.