Official CM10.1 nighlty builds for Galaxy Note AT&T are now available and you can learn how to install by reading the instructions that I have listed here in this article. Make sure to read the entire post and don’t skip any steps that I have listed. If you have problems completing the guide, ask for more questions in comments.
The CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly build for your smartphone is pretty stable and you shouldn’t have major problems using it. There isn’t an official Changelog but you should expect all the Android 4.2.1 and CM-based functions to be present within. We didn’t have the time to fully test the ROM but it seemed to work better than the previous CM10 Nightlies, you will find out by yourself while testing it.
In order to be sure that you successfully flash the CM 10.1 Nightlies on AT&T Galaxy Note, use the preparation guide below:
- it is a guide for advanced Android users. It works only with the AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note with the model number I717. Don’t try to flash this custom ROM on any other Galaxy Note variants as you will end up bricking them.
- This tutorial works with your device only if it is rooted and running a CWM Recovery image.
- Use the CWM Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current Android OS. This file will become important in case you don’t like the new CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM or your device cannot boot after installation.
- Backup all your other data files by moving them on to your device’s internal SDcard. This is required as the tutorial will ask you to ‘wipe data/ and factory reset’ the phone, which is why all /system partition will be deleted for the new ROM.
- Also, you can choose to backup SMS and other similar data with these tools for your phone: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access is required for some apps.
- Save the Contacts data by syncing it with your Gmail account.
- Make sure that the USB Debugging option is enabled on your device.
- Make sure that the phablet’s battery is charged so that the power level charge should be over 50%. It will prevent the phone from switching off while you’re flashing the new ROM.
- Use this tutorial only if you’re a power user and you like to switch between ROMs. This is not a final release of CM10.1 and you might experience some errors or force closes, which might not be something that a novice will like to find on their phone.
- Do not blame us in case you lose any important data in the process, nor in case you brick the device.
- If you cannot complete the tutorial or you have any other problems then you should ask for more help in our comments field, at the end of this article.
All the guidelines were listed above and now you can continue tot he next part of this article.
NOTE: If your phone is already on a CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM, then you can install this new build without the need of applying the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ step.
How to install CM10.1 Official Nightlies for AT&T Galaxy Note I717:
- Download the CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Next, download the Gapps for CM10.1 from our page HERE. This file will install the Google apps for your Android device. Don’t unzip.
- Connect the Galaxy Note AT&T to your PC via USB cable. Copy both downloaded files on your device’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when you’re done.
- Power off your device.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing Volume Up, Volume Down and Power. Release the buttons when the custom recovery mode appears.
- OPTIONAL STEP: Create a Nandroid backup by selecting ‘backup and restore’ option from the custom Recovery menu. If you already have a backup then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. NOTE: If you already run a CM10.1 based ROM on your device, then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’. Then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then find the CM 10.1 Nightly zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the ROM is installed, select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Gapps for CM10.1 and install it.
- Get back to the main selection menu of CWM Recovery when all files have been installed with success.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- The first boot process of CM10.1 Nightly will launch now and it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
- When all files have been loaded and your device boots into normal mode, enter the Google Account details and take control over your device once again.
- Test the new ROM. That’s it, you’ve successfully installed the CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies on your Galaxy Note AT&T.
NOTE: if you notice that the first boot process takes over 10 minutes to complete, or the device gets into a boot loop, then you should power off the device completely. Repeat the entire tutorial once again starting with step 5. Custom ROMs aren’t always installing all their files at the first attempt, which is why you should keep trying to complete its install. Make sure to apply step 7.
If you don’t like how the CM10.1 Nightlies is acting on your AT&T Galaxy Note, then you can easily use the backup of the previous ROM and CWM Recovery to restore your phone to its previous OS.
If you have any other questions, use the comments section below and I will come with a solution to all of your problems.