Install Official CM11 Nightly KitKat ROM for US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S4
US Cellular Galaxy S4 has received its own build of CM 11 Nightly ROM build, which is why you now need to follow this tutorial and learn how to flash it on your device successfully. Read this entire post and you should be able to complete the tutorial in no time without bricking the device.
CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies have been launched and these are still in ‘testing’ phase which is why you should only install them after creating a NANDROID Backup of the already installed ROM. It packs all the AOSP Android 4.4 features as well as some new CM-based functions. More info about this release can be found at the CyanogenMod blog here.
In order to make sure that you complete the tutorial without bricking the phone, then it would be best for you to read the guidelines below first:
- Use this article only with the US Cellular Galaxy S4 device.
- don’t attempt to flash the files you find here on any other Android devices, as you will end up bricking their firmware.
- your US Cellular Galaxy S4 has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM Recovery.
- TWRP Recovery might work also, but you have to make sure that it runs on the latest build available.
- whichever custom Recovery you decide to use it has to be updated and support KitKat custom ROMs.
- it is highly important for you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
- this will set a restore point for your device, once that can be used in case the new CM 11 Nightly ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
> this step can be found in the ‘how-to’ part of this post, which is why you shouldn’t skip it.
- for the new CM 11 Nightly ROM to install correctly you will need to apply a ‘factory reset’ option.
- Factory Reset will delete all the data from system partition, which is why you should know that this process deletes all installed applications, sms and other similar files.
- do not skip the ‘factory reset’ step, as that might prevent your device from booting in normal mode with CM 11 Nightly.
- ‘factory reset’ might be avoided only in case your phone already sports a previous CM 11 Nightly ROM build.
- if you do skip ‘factory reset’ and your phone doesn’t boot in normal mode, then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again without skipping any steps in the process.
- if you want to backup data from installed apps, SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings, then you should use the following tools for Android: Helium | SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- root access will be needed for these apps to work on your phone, so you should grant it.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- check the phone’s battery charge levels and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the device won’t switch off in the middle of the installation process.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and make sure that you know what you’re doing before going to the tutorial part of this post.
- this is a guide for advanced users, note that we cannot be blamed in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode nor in case you lose any important data files.
Since you’ve read all of the above, continue to the next part of this post:
How to install CM 11 Nightly ROM for US Cellular Galaxy S4:
- Download the CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies build from here.
- make sure that you download the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your phone with your computer, then move both zip files to your smartphone’s internal storage.
- when the files are copied, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your US Cellular Galaxy S4 completely, then boot it into CWM Recovery Mode.
- if you don’t know how to boot custom Recovery Mode then you can find more info here.
> make sure that CWM / TWRP Recovery should be updated to latest version.
- From the main menu of CWM Recovery you need to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup:
- select ‘backup and restore’, then name the file and save it to your device’s internal / external storage.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset’ for your device:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm the process.
> don’t skip this step, unless your device already sports a previous official CM 11 Nightly build.
- Install the ROM now:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’, find the CM 11 Nightly zip file.
- confirm the installation and don’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- After the ROM is flashed you will have to install the Gapps for Android 4.4 custom ROMs file:
- select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’, then find the Gapps zip and install it.
- When both files are installed you can return to the main custom Recovery menu.
- Reboot your device now in normal mode.
- the first boot process of your device will take a while to load all files, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons during that time.
- Use your Google / CyanogenMod account to take control over your smartphone’s functions and new CM 11 Nightly ROM.
- since the installation is complete, you can begin to test this new ROM and see how is you device holding up when running one of the most popular KitKat custom ROMs.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your device. Now the only thing left to do is to start customizing the entire interface and setup the UI so that you’ll get the best out of your US Cellular Galaxy S4.
NOTE: In case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode with CM 11 Nightly, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again without skipping any steps. Also, if you do repeat the guide, then it would be best for you to apply the ‘format /system’ process after ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
If you have any other questions,use the comments field listed below.