CyanogenMod 10.2 or CM 10.2 is now available as Nightly builds and you can use this post in order to update your AT&T Galaxy S4 using the files posted in this article. Make sure to read the entire tutorial and don’t skip any steps listed below.
Using this guide you will manage to install one of the best Android 4.3 AOSP custom ROMs that are currently available for your smartphone. It brings multiple new features and functions that should improve the Jelly Bean experience.
Now, in order to make sure that you successfully update your device, then you first have to take a look at these guidelines:
- use this post only for the AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4. Your phone should have the I337 model number, as otherwise you will end up bricking your device.
- The AT&T Galaxy S4 device that you’re about to update with CM 10.2 Nightly ROM has to be factory unlocked, rooted and it should have the CWM or TWRP Recovery installed. Without these requirements being met you cannot complete the update.
- In the tutorial guide you will find a step that tells you to wipe data and factory reset your device. This is required in case you’re coming from a different ROM. In case you are currently running a previous build of CM 10.2 then you can install the new one over it.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your Galaxy S4 always before installing any new ROMs. This will set a restore point for your device and it can be used in case you have problems with the new ROM.
- The ‘factory reset’ step will remove all contents from the system partition which means that you will lose installed apps data and SMS, Call Logs info etc.
- If you want to backup installed apps data, then you either use Helium from Play Store (here) or the Titanium Backup tool (here).
- Backups SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings using the following apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these tools.
- Sync the Contacts data with your Gmail account before starting the installation.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery power levels are over 50% as you wouldn’t wait for it to switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- This is a guide for more advanced users, do not try to update your smartphone in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you lose any data or you brick the smartphone.
- In case you have problems installing the new ROM, then you should use the comments field in order to ask for more help.
Now that you’ve read all the above, you can continue to the next part of this post. Learn how to update your device. In case you don’t manage to complete the installation at your first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again.
How to update AT&T Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3 using CM 10.2 Nightly:
- Download CM 10.2 Nightly ROM from here.
– grab the latest CM 10.2 build.
– do not unzip the contents and save the file on your PC.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
– don’t unzip the archive.
- Use the USB cable and connect the SGS4 with your PC.
- Move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage. When the files are copied, disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot your device into CWM / TWRP Recovery now.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you might find this guide here helpful.
- First thing that you have to do is to create a full NANDROID backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’, then use the Backup option to complete the process.
– TWRP Revovery: press Backup. Select the system parts you want to save, then confirm.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset':
– CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this process.
– TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
– when the factory reset is complete, continue with the tutorial.
- Now you can flash the new custom ROM files:
– for CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the CM 10.2 Nightly zip file. Install it.
– for TWRP Recovery press Install, then you should browse your device’s internal SDcard for the CM 10.2 zip. Confirm the process by sliding the blue button.
> the installation process shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes to complete.
- When all files have been installed with success, return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ for the CWM Recovery or Restart/ Reboot option for the TWRP Recovery.
- The first boot process of this new ROM shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes to update. That is why you should wait until the home screen appears without pressing any buttons.
- Enter the Google Account details when the home screen appears, so that you’ll take control over the AT&T Galaxy S4 and the CM 10.2 Nightly custom ROM.
These were the steps that you had to take in order to update correctly your device.
If cannot complete the update, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure not to skip any steps that are listed above, as you will need to apply ‘factory reset’. If you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for more help in comments. If you like this CM 10.2 Nightly ROM then you should know that you can keep updating it using the CyanogenMod Updater under Settings menu. Just search for a new build and click once to apply the installation of any new CM 10.2 Nightly build that was available for download.
Also, if you don’t like this new ROM, then you can always use the backup files created in step 7 in order to restore your smartphone to its previous working state.