Install Official CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G (TI OMAP variant)
CM 10.2 Nightlies based on Android 4.3 are now available for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G. Use this post and you will learn how to flash all the required files easily without bricking your smartphone.
The CyanogenMod team is working hard on releasing a fully working build of CM 10.2 for Galaxy S2 users. The build that you find here is a Nightly one and it still is a testing ROM that is constantly improved. The current build version might not be very stable but with newer builds released on a daily basis we will be able to get more and more stable builds. You can flash new builds using the CM Updater tool, it can be found in the Settings menu.
For you to successfully update your device with CM 10.2 Nightly ROM you will first have to take a look at the guidelines below:
- This guide will work only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G. This is the TI OMAP version of the S2 and not the Exynos I9100 one. So, don’t try to flash the files you find here on other devices.
- Your device has to be rooted, factory unlocked and the CWM or TWRP Recovery need to be installed on it. You cannot complete the installation without your phone meeting these requirements.
- In the tutorial you’ll find a step that will tell you to factory reset your Galaxy S2 phone. This process will remove all the installed apps data and SMS, Contacts etc.
- If you want to backup any data from installed applications, then you should use the Helium app (here) from Play Store or the Titanium Backup (here).
- If you wish to save data such as SMS, call Logs info and APN Internet Settings, then you should use these small utilities for Android devices: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. You need to grand root access for these tools.
- Also, remember to sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account. This will backup all your saved phone numbers to your Google profile and you can restore all this data after the new CM 10.2 Nightly ROM is flashed with success.
- Enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options.
- This is a guide for more advanced users.
- It is highly recommended for you to create a NANDROID ROM backup. This will set a restore point for you device and it can be used in case something goes wrong and the new ROM doesn’t install successfully. Also, this backup file can be used in case you don’t like how you Galaxy S2 I9100G works after installing CM 10.2 Nightly.
- Do not blame us in case you brick your phone or you lose any important data files.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery has enough power left in it before it switches off completely. In case your device powers off while you’re flashing the new ROM, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- For more info you will need to use the comments section.
These were the guidelines that you had to read before continuing to the next part of this article. Do not skip any steps listed below.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G with CM 10.2 Nightly ROM based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean:
- Download the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly zip from here.
- make sure to download the latest build.
- do not extract the files.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs here.
- this file has to be flashed so that you will be able to use all the Google-based apps on your device.
- do not unzip.
- Use the USB cable and connect your smartphone with your computer.
- Next, copy and paste the CM 10.2 Nightly and Gapps files to your smartphones internal storage. When the files are copied you can disconnect the device from your PC.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Boot the Galaxy S2 I9100G to Custom Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP Recovery are working with this tutorial.
- When the CWM / TWRP main menu is shown you should create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ option. Then use “backup” and save the NANDROID file to your device’s internal / external storage.
- TWRP Recovery: press the Backup button. Select the files you want to save and then confirm the process.
> after the backup is complete, continue to the next step.
- Now you have to apply the ‘factory reset’:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm.
- TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset option. Confirm.
> NOTE: if your device is already sporting a previous build of CM 10.2 Nightly, then you can skip this process and overwrite it using the new CM 10.2 build.
> If the device doesn’t boot into normal mode with the new ROM and you didn’t apply factory reset, then you should return to this step and apply it.
- Next, install the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly custom ROM:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then select the ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM file and install it. Confirm the process.
- TWRP Recovery: press Install, then you need to find the CM 10.2 Nightly file. Confirm this installation.
> the install won’t take long but you shouldn’t press any buttons.
- After the ROM is installed you need to flash the Gapps file too. Use the same actions as in step 9 but instead of flashing the ROM file you need to flash Gapps.
- When the installation is complete you will need to get back to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery screen. Reboot the device.
- note that the CM 10.2 Nightly first boot process will take at most ten minutes to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons.
- if the phone doesn’t boot into normal mode and it gets stuck at the Samsung boot animation screen or it enters into a boot loop, then you will need to power off the device. After that you have to repeat all the tutorial steps.
- If everything went according to plan, then you will see the CM 10.2 Nightly home screen. Enter the Google Account personal info and take control over the new ROM.
I think that these were all the steps you had to follow in order to update your Galaxy S2 I9100G with the CM 10.2 Nightly based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. If you have any problems installing the new ROM, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Note that you can continue updating this new CM 10.2 Nightly with newer builds using the CM Updater tool from the Settings menu.
In case you don’t like the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G performance while running CM 10.2 Nightly ROM, then you should use the Nandroid backup file created in step 7 and restore your device to its previous ROM.